New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: billy moss

September 6, 2013 06:15 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

your most used scope

Posted By billy moss

Hi
It is funny how we ( over the years ) have marveled at the ads with the big scopes, all the power, all the aperture, what can we see with that big scope. Well, things change as you get older. I have had several big scopes over the years, and at times wanted something larger, but the aging body changes things a little. I still have a 4 inch refractor, a 6 inch SCT, but my favorite scope now is my little lightweight ( pick the whole thing up with one hand )90 celestron MAK on the vintage vixen altaz mount with the slow motion controls. I leave the scope on the mount, set it at the door with a cover on it. When I decide to look at something, I just pick the whole thing up, walk out the door, set it down, and ready to observe. Just point, and take the control knobs and start viewing. And you would be amazed at what you can see with that 90mm scope. I can be watching TV, decide that I want to look at Saturn, and in 5 minutes I am looking at it, without hardly doing anything. If I only had a large scope, the idea of looking at Saturn would just be an idea, I would not want to spend that much time setting it up. It is true what they say, the best scope is the one that you use the most. This set up would be hard to beat for being light, quick, steady, and very sharp views.
This little scope keeps me viewing when I can not decide whether I want to do some viewing or not, because it is so easy and fun. But when I have set time aside to use the larger scopes, I find out that the smaller scope is more fun. Just my situation, any others who have the same views and opinions.
If I had to either get rid of my 6 inch SCT or my 90 MAK, the 6 inch would have to go. I would never use it as much as the 90.
Billy

October 27, 2013 07:33 AM Forum: SCI-FI

oldies but goodies

Posted By billy moss

Being 64 years old, I enjoy the sci-fi movies of the 50's, before everything got so high tech.
I have a collection of the old Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon movies, plus almost all the others.
Some of the best are:
When the World Stood Still
War of The Worlds
Earth vs Flying Saucers
This Island Earth
Invaders from Mars
Destination Moon
When Worlds Collide
It Came From Outer Space
Monolith Monsters and others that I have not mentioned.
Maybe I am different, but I just enjoy those movies and always will.

February 7, 2014 04:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

vixen altaz

Posted By billy moss

Hi
I have a vintage vixen altaz mount, remember the ones with the flexible cables, that the older celestron C-80's came with. I have never had any trouble with, and it is not worn , but it has developed a dead area, when you turn the cable, you have to turn it about half a turn before the mount begins to move. It has screws that you can tighten the worm gear and the blocks, but it does not help. You have to tighten it down to where it is hard to turn before the play disappears. I have had several of these mounts, and this is the first one that I have not been able to figure out the loose play. Like I say, the gears or nothing is worn. Does anyone out there have any suggestions, or know anybody that could fix this problem. I love these mounts enough to spend money to get it fixed. They are hard to find, and they are excellent on small MAKs.
Thanks
Billy

April 10, 2014 04:24 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

optics and pollen

Posted By billy moss

Hi
Has any one out there had any problems arise to their scopes due to pollen. Here in NC, it is just like a yellow fog for several weeks, and you can wash it off, and in 30 minutes, it is back covered again. I would hate to get this stuff inside of my SCTs or my refractor. That stuff seems like it can get inside of anything. About the only relief, is view after a rain, that will keep it down for several hours. It will be around here for about another month, what a bummer. It is also very bad on allergies. I was just wondering if this mess was to get inside of a telescope, what kind of damage would it cause., beside turning the lenses and mirrors yellow.

May 15, 2014 04:11 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

vintage C102

Posted By billy moss

Hi
Just wondering if anyone else who has one of the vintage C102 ( made in Japan ) celestron refractors, would like to tell about their optics. For the money, I do not think they can be beat. You can occasionally find one for around $300 to $400, depending on condition. And if they have been taken care of, they are awesome. The size is enough to get clear planetary views, and the views are very sharp, no secondary obstruction. Since I got mine, I have been reading some of the reviews, and I have read where some owners say they will compare favorably with the ED models. I know that they are not the best scope out there, but for the money, they may be. No maintenance, no collimation issues, will last a lifetime. I get awesome views of Jupiter with my bonoviewer. I do not know about the newer ones, made in China, but I have read that they are not as good optically or quality wise. But I see where some of them are doing pretty well.

December 29, 2013 06:22 AM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Re: oldies but goodies

Posted By billy moss

Yeh, and the 60mm unitrons that sold for around $260 and the 3 inch unitrons that sold for around $400, they were also scopes that were excellent performers. Simplicity with quality will last a lifetime. I never owned one of the vintage Edmund reflectors, does anyone know how well they performed and lasted.

January 24, 2014 02:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Orange tube C-90

Posted By billy moss

Thanks a lot Dave, makes me feel better.
Billy

February 11, 2021 01:52 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Do private messages have to go to e-mail

Posted By billy moss

My email on my computer is clogged up enough allready, can the messages be stopped going to e-mail address, just back and forth on the astromart site