Posts Made By: robin woolsey

January 31, 2010 04:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Frustrated w C8 wedge mount

Posted By robin woolsey

Hello! I recently purchase a Classic C8 8" with the original wedge and tripod. I have become frustrated with the inability to get it polar aligned and the stability of images, due to the rigidity of the mount and tripod. I am considering the purchase of a CG-5 Advanced Go To mount and was wondering if anyone had experience in this area. Is the CG-5 hoss enough to support my C8, how hard are they to get polar aligned, image stabiltiy and can one take photos on this mount? sad

February 6, 2010 06:12 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

How do I post ratings for a seller?

Posted By robin woolsey

I purchase an item and would like to leave a positive rating for this seller. How do I do this?

June 3, 2010 05:41 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Focal reducers

Posted By robin woolsey

Hello! I am considering the purchase of a focal reducer for my C8 Celestron to improve the image quality and for astrophotography. Am I headed in the right direction and does brand name matter?
robin

June 27, 2010 11:30 AM Forum: After Dark

Installing Neximage Driver and Software

Posted By robin woolsey

I recently purchased a Neximage CCD Camera. I have not been able to get a driver installed and now my computer will not even recognize the camera as new hardware. I am using Windows Vista 32 bit operating system. Don't know if the imager is bad or if I'm doing something wrong. The Amcap and Registax programs appear to load on my desktop, but that's as far as I get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

July 3, 2010 09:24 PM Forum: Refractors

Short tube vs. Long focal length refractors

Posted By robin woolsey

Hello! I am considering adding another refractor to my collection. I have an 80mm short tube Orion and I want something in the neighborhood of 120mm or larger. I want a good combo scope for planetary and some deep sky observing plus some astrophotography. My question is, do I go for long focal length/higher f/ratios or the short tube short focal length/lower f/ratios? I have budgeted $300 to $500 dollars for an OTA and rings only, no mount or accessories. Any recommendations?
hastapalla!

August 8, 2010 09:47 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Polar alignment failure on CG-5 GoTo mount

Posted By robin woolsey

The last two nights I have been unable to polar align my CG-5. I start as I always do with a rough polar alignment, set up the time and location, align the index marks and proceed to two star alignment. The first star the software chooses is Arcturus. It slews about half the way, both in declination and RA and stops. I have tried selecting other stars and the same thing happens. This mount has never been what I would call "dead on" but has always got me in the field of view in a 25mm wide field lens. I don't know if my problem is electrical, mechanical or has to do with the software. I'm at a loss and getting frustrated.
robin

October 28, 2010 04:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Neximage CCD camera as autoguider?

Posted By robin woolsey

I have a Neximage Solar system imager and I've read somewhere it could be used as an autoguider as well. What does it take to do this? The imager has a USB connection and my CG-5 has a 6-pin phone jack connection. Is there an adapter and what software is required?
robin

December 8, 2010 05:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen A80SS Refractor Collimation

Posted By robin woolsey

Hello!
I've got a general Idea of how to collimate this scope, but would like specifics for a refractor. I also have an Orion LasarMate (older model) not the deluxe and it appears to shine in the center of the objective when placed in the focuser w/o the diagonal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
robin

January 15, 2011 06:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Big Cat on a CG-5?

Posted By robin woolsey

What is the biggest SCT that would work on a CG-5 ASGT and still be able to do astrophotography? I would like to eventually up-size from my C8 to an 11" and need to know if I need a new mount also or just the OTA. I know that Celestron sales an 11" with the CG-5 but will it work with the extra weight of camera and or other accessories?
thanx robin

February 25, 2011 06:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Runaway slews on Advanced Series CG-5 GoTo mount.

Posted By robin woolsey

I recently attempted to set up my C8 on my CG-5 and when I move the mount in right ascension with the controller, I loose control and the mount tries to runaway. I have to kill the power to keep it from damaging the mount. Any one else ever had this problem?
robin sad