My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Lou Occhipinti

May 18, 2002 03:39 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

A double "DUH"

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

Step 1) Setup my C8, accesories, and viewing chair.
Step 2) Wait for cool down and complete darkness.
Step 3) The viewing begins, awesome.
Step 4) A blind flurry of activity as I collect all my gear
and make a maddening dash to me patio.

Seems I changed the timer on my sprinkler and "DUH" forgot.
Moral: There is no moral although my wife thought it extremely funny.

- Lou the putz O -

August 10, 2002 07:05 PM Forum: APM

What happened to TMB's achromat

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

APM-USA had the 5" listed on their web site and was taking orders. Now it is no longer their, did Thomas reconsider making large achromats. Curious as I was very interested in one.
Sent APM an e-mail for some info and never got a response. Anyone have info.

- Lou -

August 17, 2002 04:55 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

info on mysterious object

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

I saw something wierd tonight and am hoping someone can shed
some light. At 12:45am while looking for M57 in Lyra
something came across my FOV. It was a fairly bright point of light that was pulsing like a beacon growin dimmer and brighter as it moved along at a brisk pace. I had a C8 with a 32mm plossl with a 52 degree FOV and it moved thru it in
about 3.5 to 4 seconds. I tracked it for about 20 seconds and lost it, seemed to be moving north.

I've seen a few of these, one the other night and moving much faster, but the pulsing is whats got my curiosity on
this one. Any takers ??

Thanks - Lou -

June 11, 2003 05:17 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Mount question

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

Hey guys,

I have just bought a Vixen SP mount to put my C8 on and am wondering if will be suitable for the BO 1278 also and if not is there anything I can do to make it suitable ie: HD wood tripod or the like.

Also is there a way to put DSC's on it without using the Vixens PC200 setup at $900 bucks.

All input appreciated, thanks

Lou

June 28, 2003 01:43 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

A little help

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

Hey guys,

I've been a fork mounted SCT user for many years and I decided to take the GEM plunge. Bought a Vixen SP mount that I will using for the 1278 and put my C8 on.

I have never owned a GEM and want to know what accesories do I need to mate the scopes and mount. Can the SP accomodate a dovetail system. What mounting will come with the 1278. What's the easiest way to set this up for quick change.

I have looked the Anacortes and the many different ones there, don't want the "trail and error " method.
Only have another several weeks before she (BO) arrives and want to be ready.

BTW Mars last night was awesome, polar caps very prominent. I saw what seemed to be dark lanes thru the equator and some also a large area top left of the polar caps. ??

Thanks in advance

Lou

November 21, 2003 09:34 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Incomiiing, what about the dovetail ?

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

just got word the other day and it's scheduled to arrive 11/22....my knees are shaking and I can't type straight.

I have a Vixen SP with a AP800 saddle on it. Question is will the 1278 fit or do I need another saddle to fit it.

Also do you think the SP is sufficient. I've had fork SCT's in the past and this is my first refractor....excuse me while I wipe the drool off the keyboard.

AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE THE SKIES ARE CLEAR.

Lou

November 30, 2003 04:59 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

SN 028 Unpleasant Update

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

I haven't mounted my 1278 yet, waiting on new rings that actually fit me SP. But after hearing of some objective lens scratches I took a closer inspection of it.

What I found disturbed me. Shining a flahlight down the tube there was what looked like greasy half crusty and somewhat gritty smudges on the front lens that cover about 20 to 25% of the surface. I don't dare try cleaning it. Has anyone else come across this?

I will be calling Anacortes and Bill today to find out what how they want to handle this.

Lou

February 16, 2004 02:44 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

I Gave Up !!

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

I recieved my 1278 in early November. The focus screws were bent and couldn't be turned so I called Bill about it who prompltly said he would send a replacement set next day.

A week later upon further inspection of my scope I noticed large greasy semi-circular smudges covering about 20%-25% of the front objective. I spoke to Bill about this and also if he had some solution to mount those darn rings to my SP mount and also reminded him of the screw I haven't recieved yet.

1. He apologized about not sending the screws and would next day.
2. He said he would send another lens cell for replacement within a week.
3. He was going to make me a dovetail bar to match the rings to my mount and send it next day.
4. Also told him to send me his new planetary filter made just for his scopes and also his new enhanced diagonal which was to be on par the the Williams Optical. That, by the way, was to be sent along with the rest....next day.

Almost 4 months later and a few more calls and I have not recieved a SINGLE item listed above. During my yearlong wait I never once complained and was very sympathetic to his startup problems but the complete lack of support and all the broken promises after recieving my scope finally did me in.
He may be well intentioned but the service after the sale ??

I called Anacortes last week and said " GET THIS SCOPE OUT OF MY HOUSE......NOW !"

I'm glad that most of you have had good experiences with your scopes and are pleased with it's performance, best of luck to all of you.
It could be the greatest buy of the century but at a certain point it just doesn't matter anymore

I GIVE UP

Lou

April 30, 2008 02:01 PM Forum: Religion

Interpretation

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

I've always been puzzled by this, how can one book spawn sooo many religion. If it fact it was written through divine oversight surely he could of done a better job and been less vague rather than leave soo much room for interpretation. And with everyone claiming to be "the right one" they obviously can't all be right.

And if we widen our view away from the christian faith there are many religions that believe in one god and yet the same holds true......we come away with entirely differnt beliefs. There seems to be many more people that are more wrong than right.

Lou

May 6, 2008 09:57 PM Forum: Religion

God before creation ?

Posted By Lou Occhipinti

I always wondered this. In the gazillions of eons before god created everything what was he doing ? What was he the almighty of when there was nothing. Was he just hanging around in emptiness with nothing to do and no one to talk to till he got bored and decided to tinker around in his garage ?

And isn't there a certain amount of vanity to create beings whose sole purpose in life is to worship you ?

Lou