Posts Made By: nick munkenbeck

June 16, 2010 04:28 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Are short imaging scopes better for binoviewing?

Posted By nick munkenbeck

Hello all,

I am told that some people shorten their refractor OTAs to achieve focus...

Would a short imaging APO OTA like the Televue 102iis or the Takahashi FSQ85 be a good choice for binoviewing with a 45 degree erecting prism?

I believe both are designed to bring the focuser closer to the objective than in the standard models for use with long imaging "trains" and come w/ extensions for visual observing.

It would be great to be able to binoview w/ a 45 degree erecting prism w/o having to use a 2x barlow for a wider FOV.

Thanks & clear skies,

_Nick

January 26, 2011 04:54 AM Forum: Refractors

1815 brass refractor 80mm

Fellow AMarters,

A quick question for any kind font of knowledge:

1815 completely brass refractor with small crayford type focuser. Small folding tripod integral, most likely intended for terrestrial use, ie: straight thru observing without a diagonal.

Its either Swiss German or German any ideas on its monetary value? Its in good condition with one small dent mid tube optics are crisp.

Thanks for looking,

_Nick

February 18, 2011 01:50 PM Forum: Refractors

Value of Swiss German brass refractor circa 1815

Good day fellow Amarters,

I'm trying to help my step mother figure out the value of this piece of her estate.

The focuser is "craford like" in that: to focus one turns a knob on a perpendicular axis that pierces the right side of the telescoping tube it operates. It may have been designed for terrestrial use because it has no diagonal. The optics are very crisp however it has a slight dent half way up the main tube not in the light path cone.

The OTA/integral small tripod belongs to my 60 year old step mother's great grandfather, it is currently and has been stored in a small unconditioned building on top of their families old castle ruins in Switzerland. He passed around 1920 and she believes it may have been in the family before that.

I did not have a camera with me during the short visit but the patina and general condition seemed to me to line up well with the 1815 engraved date. I definitely believe it to be authentic and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's monetary value might be?

It is all brass(except the lenses) down to a tiny flip tab built-in to the thread-on eyepiece that can be rotated via a little nub to cover the small lens. Its around 80mm I suspect it to be around f/15-f/20, I did not find a lens cap although it may only be temporarily misplaced.

Thank you in advance,

_Nick

September 22, 2010 10:12 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Are short imaging scopes better for binoviewing?

Thanks for your help everybody.

It turned out with more research that indeed the 102iis(not the FSQ85 however) was designed with 1x binoviewing in mind. There are several other OTAs out there now with this as part of thier design which does involve a shorter tube length to accommodate the longer path length created by the binoviewer.

I was able to reach focus in my new 102iis(which I also find great for imaging) with all my EPs in a celestron binoviewer in a televue 60deg erecting prism which is reversed left to right but I can live with that.

Thanks again & clear skies,

_Nick

February 23, 2011 03:29 PM Forum: Refractors

Value of Swiss German brass refractor circa 1815

Thank you Neil, Scott, & Mark for your informative responses. Your advice will no doubt help with her upcoming insurance estimates.

Best of luck & clear skies,

_Nick