From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Mars_Oct-Dec_2005

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Brian Robinson

September 1, 2010 02:55 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Building 1st Scope! Eyepieces?

Posted By Brian Robinson

Hey there, I'm building a scope for the first time. Right now, I've got a 10" f/4.5 mirror to work with, and I didn't know what size eyepiece to get. I am on a very tight budget, so they don't have to be top of the line. I do, however, want two eyepieces, one to see deep and just a medium strength one. I want to get the best magnification I can, but I also want to be able to tell what I'm looking at. Thanks so much!

-Brian R.

November 16, 2010 07:44 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Collapsable tube?

Posted By Brian Robinson

So, I have 10" primary, f/4.5. I just purchased a Blacklite tube that's 12" in diameter and 48" long. Unfortunately, space is an issue (no pun intended!). It's looking like, once finished, this scope will be stored in a one bedroom apartment... I've seen collapsable scopes online with a sliding truss system between the tube surrounding the secondary mirror and that surrounding the primary. My question is–Does such an opening affect the image quality? Also, is the length to be cut out specifically measured. Obviously, the focal distance would be maintained with the trusses fully extended, but exactly how much each mirror needs to be contained, I have no idea! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Comments on the practicality of such a thing are also welcome!

Thanks,
Brian R.