My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dan Cook

August 5, 2012 07:52 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Not interested in "content" schemes

Posted By Dan Cook

Herb, I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that you're looking to waste money on "content." What a botomless money pit. Content far superior to anything you'll ever be able to afford with your subscribers money is already available on innumerable other websites. In my opinion you will never have the slightest chance of competing with that and will just be wasting your and your subscriber's money if you try. Personally I come here for ONE reason only. To buy and sell astronomy related equipment.

If you honestly want to spend money, please spend it on upgrading the website software to current web standards. That's long overdue.

Also, your planned pricing as you have currently expressed it has the appearance of being bizantine, scheming, punative and petty minded (which is as kindly and generously as I can put it). You'd do far better by just charging a small fee for signup plus a small fee per add placement and leave it at that.

After the year is up, I'll likley continue on as a subscriber, but maybe not as a supporter. I don't wish to support a content boondoggle.

November 13, 2015 12:49 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

403 Forbidden when posting a classified

Posted By Dan Cook

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error whenever I attempt to post a classified ad. It happens at the very last click after everything else is complete including uploading of pictures. Doesn't appear to matter which browser I use.

December 7, 2013 11:22 AM Forum: Mounts

mount tracking accuracy

Posted By Dan Cook

Realistically at that focal length with a Paramount MX, PEC programmed, a good Tpoint model and ProTrack enabled you can easily go five minutes unguided with pinpoint stars. Okay, some people can achieve ten minutes, but that's really pushing your luck. Beyond that requires autoguiding (preferably with an off-axis guider if/when you get up into longer focal lengths). The convenience of not having to use an autoguider is considerable.