My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Sandy

May 6, 2002 01:32 PM Forum: Takahashi

Questions about the EM 10 mount.

Posted By Michael Sandy

My EM 10 has some significant clutch friction on the RA axis, so much so that it is hard to get a really good balance. The same situation does not exist on the Dec axis. Is this normal? How would one adjust the clutch on this mount (or can it be adjusted)? I checked the manual and guess what - it didn't provide any information.

In another line of thought - what is everyones experience with the load capacity of this, and other Tak, mount(s)? Is there much margin over the listed load capacity (in the case of the EM 10 it is 7kg)?

Thanks for your responses in advance

March 7, 2003 10:14 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Leo Trio (reprocessed)

Posted By Michael Sandy

I wasn't very happy with the processing of the shot I posted earlier, so I tried it again......still not sure I'm getting it right, but it isn't as over done with unsharp mask, and the color correction is a little better to my eye. Comments?

LRGB 75:16:20:24

September 26, 2003 08:25 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Ranking the best Bino's

Posted By Michael Sandy

There have been several posts that ask about "Dream Binos", the best bino, and best values. I'm just wondering how folks would rank the top five Bino offerings (or more if that makes sense) - on a performance only basis. Value is in the minds (and wallets) of the buyer so I'm asking for the ranking from a pure product quality, design features, and optical performance standpoint. I've read the shootouts - I've heard the claims.....so after all that how do you rank them? Please let us know which you have had a chance to view through. Me first?? okay here is what I'm thinking I understand:

1) AP/Baader (either the new Mark V or the older model)
2) TeleVue
3) Denk II
4) Denk Std
5) BW Optic

I've owned and used the TV and AP/Baader units - the others are opinions I've developed from what I've read. How would you rate them?

I'd like to do the same kind of "ranking" with eyepiece sets.....but performance there is so dependent on the scope you are using I'm not sure how to rank them.

September 29, 2003 01:13 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Apologies to most!

Posted By Michael Sandy

Okay.....I apologize to the folks who have had to endure the flames. It has gone on longer than it should have. I'm sorry, and I'm out of it.

Just some general advice: It is always good to know from whom you are accepting advice - the axe they have to grind may be your own.

Clear Skies to all - maybe I wouldn't be so cranky if the evening clouds would go away!

October 4, 2003 05:26 PM Forum: Binoviewers

And now - a word from our sponser.....

Posted By Michael Sandy

Oh no, just the continuing infommercial.

November 24, 2003 12:01 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Where did you go Harry?

Posted By Michael Sandy

Hey Harry:

You and your friends have made it clear that you discount opinions - no matter what the basis - if they are not formed by actually "hands on" experience with your Bino's. You guys are always right here to provide responses to all types questions....usually with gratuitous semi-praise other companies offerings while hyping some perceived feature or difference with your own. It is a cheap marketing gimmick, but Herb seems to look the other way….so it goes on. But if I ask some direct questions about your Bino’s - you run away, no where to be found. Why is that?

As I have said, I have heard that there is a fairly significant clear aperture difference in your units from side to side. I believe I’ve see posts where Jim Gutman discussed measure techniques and Tom Hole used those techniques to measure a couple of other brands, and saw similar clear apertures of about 26.5mm on either side on the TV units and 24.5mm on the Denk Std. The sample unit of yours was reported (independent of Jim or Tom) to have a 22mm clear aperture on the left side and 20mm on the right, with a corresponding significant decrease in brightness on the right side. Is this your experience with the testing you do?

I continue to be interested in how the user would collimate your units……is that possible, and how?

Do you intend to send a unit to Todd for independent testing? I’ll take that one question one step further, you have a 60 day money back return policy – What if I simply bought a sample and had it tested with the express purpose of publicly reporting the results? Would you agree, in writing, to releasing the results, and refund my money (with the unit returned within the 60 day window) if they don’t perform to my satisfaction. By perform I mean, at a minimum, no vignetting with 13mm/16mm Naglers or 19 Pans, an even 50%-50% light distribution between the left and right sides, and without significant (greater than 1mm) difference in clear aperture from side to side - but then your policy is a “no questions asked” refund isn’t it?.

So what do you say Harry......be the man.

January 1, 2004 07:41 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Anyone see one of these - $249 Bino's

Posted By Michael Sandy

I just looking through an older S&T and found a small ad for this Binoviewer. Looks like it has some level of built in barlow, only a 19mm clear aperture.....and seperate focusers for each side. At $249 - they sound like an interesting starter Bino at a great price. Here is the link:

http://www.scopequipment.com/english.htm

Anyone ever see one of these?

January 10, 2004 01:04 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Re: Floyd/Tom

Posted By Michael Sandy

Eurvin,

You are a man of intregrity - please don't let the petty comments of others on this forum affect you so strongly. It is really not that important - in the end. Take a break, and let some time pass - I'm sure you will feel differently in the morning. The folks who read this forum regularly know what is going on, the rest that don't get it - likely never will. Please let things drop.....it just is not worth it pursuing it. It is clear from your posts that you never lied......so please - let it end here.

February 25, 2004 10:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Just picked up my Monolith........

Posted By Michael Sandy

I picked my Monolith up from Particle Wave Technologies a couple of weeks ago. It is a very nice piece of equipment. I began to put together a write-up on my website, and while it is not really done (the whole site continues to develop for that matter) I wanted to post a link and let you see yet another group of photo's, and read my initial impressions. Here is the link:

http://www.darksights.com/Monolith.htm

This is the 10x42" model, and will accept either an AP900 or AP1200. Highly recommended!

February 28, 2004 01:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

SRP anyone?

Posted By Michael Sandy

I've added a write-up for the SRP which is PWT's replacement for the SBIG desiccant plug. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.darksights.com/SRP.htm

Regards

Mike
http://www.darksights.com