New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Krawczyk

July 9, 2004 02:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M13 w/Nikon D70

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All

This is my first post here. I'm really enjoying the good work being posted here.

Here is M13 done with a Nikon D70 @ prime on a Orion 120mm F/8.3 achromat refractor mounted on a Losmandy G11. All frames were autoguided using an ST-4 mounted to an Orion 80mm f/11 guidescope piggybacked on the 120mm refractor. The shot is a 9x3min ISO800 stack. All frames dark subtracted and flat field divided with Paint Shop Pro 8.1, registered and stacked with Registar and processed further with Paint Shop Pro 8.1. NGC6207 is almost visable to the left of the frame. This is a full frame shot from the 120mm, no croping.

Thanks for looking.

August 10, 2004 06:08 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Lyra Widefield

Posted By John Krawczyk

I took this with a piggybacked OM-1n w/135 mm Zuiko f/2.8 lens set at f/4. It's a single 20min exposure on Kodak Elitechrome 400. The scope it was riding on was atop an G-11 mount that was being guided by an ST-4 autoguider. Slide scanned with a Nikon Coolscan V ED. Processed with Paintshop Pro 8.1.

August 13, 2004 03:21 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Deneb & Gamma Cygni Widefield

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All

I've been exprimenting with films to see what works best for me. I'm using the Deneb/Gamma Cygni region with a 135mm Zuiko f/2.8 lens at f/4 to shoot on different types of films. This shot is a 2x20 min exposure (cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio) on Fuji Provia 400. The Olympus OM-2n camera was piggybacked on ST-4 autoguided G-11 mount. Exposures scanned by a Nikon Coolscan V ED, registered and Average combined in Registar. All other post processing with Paintshop Pro 8.1. Provia400 is some nice film. The transparency the night i took these frames was below average, yet there was enough there to pull it out. I shot the same subject two nights earlier on Kodak Elitechrome 400 on a night of average transparency. There was not much to work with as compared to Provia 400. Hopefully within a week or so, i can post up an E200 shot of this region for a comparision.

Thanks for looking

John Krawczyk
Crownsville, MD

August 29, 2004 10:06 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Gray Catbird

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All,

I've been posting astrophotos, but the cameras got to get some use during the day right? Most of the birds i've photographed have been shot from my own backyard. This image is a Gray Catbird i photographed in mid-May. It was taken with a Nikon D70 and Nikkor 80-200mm AF-D zoom lens at 200mm f/4 for a 1/60 exposure with fill flash. He was deep in the trees at the time. I'm not even close to knowing a thing about birds, but i got a Sibley Guide to birds of Eastern North American and i think im reasonably sure that i got the ID right.

Thanks for looking

John Krawczyk
Crownsville, MD

August 30, 2004 12:37 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Red Spotted Purple

Posted By John Krawczyk

Sometimes the insects rival the birds for beauty. I caught a rare chance to get a shot of this Red Spotted Purple yesterday sitting on a leaf in a tree near my deck.
Nikon D70 w/Nikkor 80-200mm AF-D zoom @ f/4 1/250 ISO800.

John Krawczyk
Crownsville, MD

September 5, 2004 11:10 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Moon w/Nikon D70 9/5/04

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All

I took this late last night. Its a single shot 1/90sec ISO200. Camera: Nikon D70 @ prime of a 120mm f/8.3 achromat. IDAS LPS filter installed. Seeing was good (for a change). Processing with Paintshop Pro 8.1.

Here is a link to a fullsize image - 810k.

http://members.rennlist.com/blueshark/Moon_090504_fullsize_810k.jpg

September 8, 2004 05:24 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Barn Spider

Posted By John Krawczyk

Common Barn Spider.

Nikon D70 w/17-85mm af-s dx lens. 1/60 sec w/flash. iso800.

October 19, 2004 02:03 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M39 Widefield

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All,

Here is a recent widefield of M39. I got lucky on Sunday night and had a clear sky with good transparency and apparently good seeing too. Normally this the object is not all that impressive except in maybe binoculars or small widefield scopes. In the context of a widefield photo I think i comes into its own rather nicely.

Heres the shoot data:

Scope - Stellarvue 80/9d working @ f/6 w/a Celestron 0.63 focal reducer
Camera - Nikon D70 @ ISO 800
Filter - IDAS LPS
Exposures - 10 x 300 seconds - controlled by IP 2.0
Mount - Losmandy G11
Guidescope and guider - Orion 120 f/8.3 refractor & ST-4 autoguider.

Processing - Raw conversion, darkframe & bias calibration in Images Plus 2.0. Flat frame calibration and gradient removal in Paint Shop Pro 8.0. Registration and Average Combine in Registar 1.0. Contrast stretch, background compensation and iterative restoration in IP 2.0. SCNR (blue only) in PixInsight 1.0. Final B/W point adjustments, resize and format export in Paint Shop Pro 8.0

here is a link to a full resolution image

http://members.rennlist.com/blueshark/M39_fullsize_image.jpg

Thanks for looking!

October 28, 2004 03:04 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Eclipse from Annapolis, Maryland

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All

I took this one a mid totality. 120mm F/8.3 Skywatcher refractor, Nikon D70 @ prime, 6 sec, iso200. Bader Fringe Killer and Orion 25% ND filters (which i removed 10 min later, D'oh!).

November 1, 2004 03:43 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M52 w/SV-102 APO

Posted By John Krawczyk

Hi All

My first DSO with the new APO. I got it Thrusday and on Sunday I had 2 hrs of good sky. I had not planned on taking photos since i was just cruising the sky with my new toy, but I couldnt resist the urge after viewing M52 with a 9mm plossl (time to go broke on Naglers).

Camera is a Nikon D70. Image is a crop from a 12x30 sec SigAvg combine in IP 2.0. DDP, log stretch and RL restoration in IP 2.0. SGBNR with PixInsight LE. Final tweeks in Paintshop Pro 8.0

Thanks for Looking