My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Roehrig

May 12, 2003 03:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mosquito Remedies.... hmmmmm.....

Posted By John Roehrig

The only EPA approved and effective repellents contain DEET to use on your skin, or permethrin to use on your clothes. The mosquitoes that transmit viral encephalitis bite primarily at dusk and the early morning hours, so do your prime viewing from 10PM to 3AM. You may want to check the CDC website: www.cdc.gov for more information.

John

June 3, 2003 05:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

The Faithful Star Party (Conclusion)

Posted By John Roehrig

Ron,

Did you get a chance to use a Starmaster ELT? I have a 12.5" version and it is quite small and quite good!

John

July 14, 2003 10:53 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Celestron Ultima 35mm eyecup

Posted By John Roehrig

Fernando,

I have used the 35 mm Ultima with the standard winged eyecup. I found it of no use in helping my eye placement for the long eye releif of this EP. I purchased the round eye cup from Orion. If you stretch it, it fits fine on the EP. The advantage of this eye cup is that it perfectly aligns your eye for the 35 mm eye relief. Give it a try - they are not expensive.

John

October 14, 2003 11:38 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Nagler 26mm Question

Posted By John Roehrig

Lynn,

Among other EPs, I have the TV 17mm T4, TV 26mm T5, and the PAN 35mm. I have used these EPs on a Nexstar 8" f/10, Starmaster 12.5" f/4.5, and AP Traveler 105mm F4.5.

All of these EPs are superb for all of the scopes listed. The 26mm is usually my first choice for wide-field views. As with all Naglers, both the 17mm and 26mm have darker fields and more contrast than the PAN 35mm.

I wonder why you didn't try the 26mm with a 2x Powermate or 2x Big Barlow in lieu of the 17mm T4? In my experience all, of the TV EPs barlow very well. That being said, the 17mm was the first 2' EP I ever bought, and I have not been disappointed.

Bottom line for me is if you have the $$ and want something in the 26mm range, you can't go wrong with the 26mm T5.

John

December 23, 2003 03:13 PM Forum: TeleVue

Telepod with an ED 80

Posted By John Roehrig

Marc,

What is the space between the bolt holes?

John

December 23, 2003 03:19 PM Forum: TeleVue

Telepod with an ED 80

Posted By John Roehrig

The spacing on the Telepod is about 1-9/16". The bolts are standard 1/4" issue.

John

December 23, 2003 03:24 PM Forum: TeleVue

Nagler zoom or 2.5x Powermate?

Posted By John Roehrig

For what its worth, I come in on the side of the PowerMate. I, too, found the FOV and lower ER a problem with the 3-6mm zoom.

John

January 10, 2004 06:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

red dot finders on TV clamshell

Posted By John Roehrig

Michael,

I'm a bit confused. You use the Orion red dot on the plastic TV base. Is the problem that you don't like the height of the finder so you were interested in two bases stacked on each other (or something similar), or did you simply want to find another finder that fits the base?

I have used the TV Quickpoint, a Celestron red dot, and the Stellarvue red dot (which I now use) and all clamp on the same onto the TV base. They all pretty much work the same, but the TV QuickPoint has a smaller viewing area - which I did not prefer.

John

January 10, 2004 06:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Obsession or Starmaster

Posted By John Roehrig

Chris,

I bought a used StarMaster 12.5" ELT last year off A-Mart. Over the course of the year I have introduced myself to Rick through some email questions. He has been very gracious, answered my questions quickly, and made me feel like an original owner. From my perspective that is unbeatable customer service!

I also love the scope!

John

February 18, 2004 08:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

If you could only have 3 eyep's

Posted By John Roehrig

Nagler 26mm T5
Nagler 17mm T4
Nagler 3.5mm T6

2" 2x PowerMate

John