My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dan D DuBal

April 7, 2004 11:10 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

Re: Matrix 3

Posted By Dan D DuBal

I watched the first two installments once, each, and have no desire to see either of them again. If I had to summarize my opinion of the movies with a single word, I might choose "ho-hum" or "blah." If the movies were more engaging/interesting -- if I cared more about them, one way or the other -- I might have upped the ante to "pretentious." Alas, neither movie warranted even *that* much emotional investment from me.

I'm sure I'll watch the third (when my friends finally buy it), and I'm confident that I'll have the same (or a similar) reaction.

I think Keanu Reeves is one of the least-talented "actors" ever to reach "star" status. Given that, I think he was perfectly cast in the role of Neo. Blah movie; blah character; blah actor. His best work (his only *good* work), as far as I'm concerned, can be seen in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey."

Blah blah blah. :-)

June 10, 2004 06:06 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepiece designs - diagrams

Posted By Dan D DuBal

Greetings, all.
I seem to have lost track of a particular web site/page which included cross-sectional diagrams of many different eyepiece designs, and I'm wondering if it might ring a bell with anyone -- perhaps you can point me in the right direction. Here are some of the clues I recall...

Firstly, the page/site I have in mind is *not* P. J. Smith's, as found here:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pjifl/

The page I'm remembering included multi-colored schematics of more than a dozen designs (vertically oriented, I believe, and against a white background). If memory serves, some of the designs represented were: the usual suspects (Huygens, Ramsden, Kellner), Abbe's orthoscopic, perhaps multiple Konig designs, Erfle variants, maybe a couple of Naglers, and (I think) one or more Bertele(s). Others may have been the Brandon and the Plossl (ala Clave). Another aspect I'm sure of is the presence of several other exotic & little-known wide-angle eyepieces which referenced their designers' surnames.

I wish I could recall one or more of those surnames -- that info alone would likely do the trick.

Hints, nudges, bread crumbs, or wink-wink clues are welcome. Heck, I could probably make do with the URL wink

Best wishes and many thanks.
-Dan

August 28, 2005 12:00 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: The planet Mercury

Posted By Dan D DuBal

Excellent, Robert. I believe you did indeed capture some surface contrast.

Cheers, & thanks for sharing.
-Dan

August 28, 2005 09:00 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Katrina

Posted By Dan D DuBal

I don't spend much time in this forum, but I'm compelled to express my well wishes to all those living along Hurricane Katrina's path and anyone/everyone who might be directly affected by this monster. This forum seems the best place to do so.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and I'm hoping the rest of you are doing the same.

Take care of yourselves, everyone.
-Dan

September 11, 2005 07:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Our Biological Equipment

Posted By Dan D DuBal

You're already on the right track. A healthy diet and exercise will allow your eyes to be as healthy as possible. Lots of vegies & fruits.
No smoking, and keep your caffeine intake low as well (alcohol, even lower).

Also, try and keep ocular fatigue to a minimum. If you work at a PC for hours per day, or if your work involves steady limited-range vision &/or ocular stress (i.e. tying flies, detailed carving, reading, etc.), it's essential that you take regular breaks and get your eyes away from that work. Take a walk around the office/house/block/wherever and give your eyes new things "to do" (i.e. to look at). Just look at stuff -- different things at different distances, be they very nearby or miles away. Ocular muscles need stretching and exercise just as much as our motor muscles do.

Like yours, my 41-year-old eyes are myopic/astigmatic. Unfortunately, mine also have significant floaters which make myopia and astigmatism seem pleasant, by comparison. :S Floaters are not necessarily a result of age. I know I've had floaters (to at least some degree) for the past 30+ years. With some folks, however, floaters and middle age may indeed coincide.

In many cases, myopia effectively "stabilizes" and may even "reverse" itself with age (i.e. distant focus can actually improve). I know that my own "distant vision" is not as bad as it was even as recently as two years ago. I'm still myopic, of course; just not to the same degree. My astigmatism essentially stabilized years ago -- I don't think it's any worse than it was in the mid-'90s.

Good health -- diet, exercise, rest, etc. Consider them paramount. Obviously, yearly optometric exams are also a good idea -- and ask for advice & recommendations when you're there.

As for supplements, I use Beta-carotine (pro-vitamin A). Can't tell if it's helping at all, but I'm not going to stop taking it. -And remember: the word is supplement -- as in, "supplemental to a healthy diet and exercise."

Cheers, minimal squinting, and lots of eye candy. 8)
-Dan

January 25, 2013 10:57 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Re: 30 x 80 celestrons

Posted By Dan D DuBal

Hello, Billy.

As I recall, the 30x80's field of view was 2 degrees (105 ft. @ 1000 yds.). Meade marketed a similar unit, but their specs noted 2.3 degrees. As was typical, back then, these and many other 80mm giants were Vixen products. The eyepieces did not sport high eye relief, and their apparent field was in the ~65-degree range (likely Konig- or Erfle-variant designs). None were fully multicoated, back then. Orion's more-recent "MegaView" models, however, WERE fully multicoated. The older Celestrons specified "fully coated" optics, while the Meades offered "coated optics." Other brands included Unitron, Carton, Swift, Hilkinson, et.al. The 20x80 range was (and is) much more popular. My own experience with 30x80s was limited to one pair (Celestron) during a single day/night, some 22 years ago. I recall no real surprises: they weren't bad; weren't awesome; a decent 30x view with expected field-edge astigmatism and coma. I don't remember any sense of "tunnel vision" - the wide-angle eyepieces likely helped in that regard. But I wouldn't call the view "expansive," either. wink

Hope that helps a little.
Best wishes.
-Dan

September 23, 2013 09:40 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: How many is too many!

Posted By Dan D DuBal

I checked "the manual" (my own noggin), and found this:

You likely have too many telescopes if one of the following two criteria is met:
1. When recalling them (mental roster, someone asks "How many?" et.al), you forget one or more.
2. Your wife says, "You have too many telescopes."
8)

Best wishes.
-Dan

March 6, 2014 08:44 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Does anybody remember "Cosmic Connections" eye

Posted By Dan D DuBal

While I don't recall that particular brand name, your description suggests flexible vinyl "end caps," which are readily available in MANY sizes, "depths," and colors. A quick web search for "vinyl end caps 1.25 id" (or similar) should set you on your way.

I have back issues of S&T from that era, so - worst-case scenario - I can step into the ol' time machine and do some page turning... wink

Cheers & best wishes.
-Dan

May 18, 2002 07:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

26mm Nagler Nickname?

Posted By Dan D DuBal

Hey Bill. Prolly ought'a wait and see how big it is, but here's my suggestion:

HorkiNagler

It's only partly cloudy, so I best go "haul" out the Pentax.

Yackatcha.
-Dan

July 10, 2002 05:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Light intensity in "qwik-point" type finders?

Posted By Dan D DuBal

If you find yourself with a too-bright LED, it can be dimmed quite simply by attaching a small piece of colored cellophane or mylar to the "face" of the LED housing itself. I used a small green mylar square (ala craft wrap, found in many craft stores) and attached it to the LED housing via double-stick cellophane tape.

Best wishes and luck.
Dan