My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Kuhns

May 20, 2013 01:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

replacing cross hairs

Posted By Jim Kuhns

i have a 50mm finder scope on a cave 10" f/6 tube assembly. the cross hairs in the finder scope are broken. the old broken ones are very fine cooper wire. i have tried to super glue but the wires will not hold to the retainer ring. . has any one out there in astro. land had to replace theres in the past? any help will be appreciated.

June 26, 2013 08:48 PM Forum: Eyepieces

a rather oddity

Posted By Jim Kuhns

I have a Klee 2.8x barlow i bought of "Astromart not very long ago.While using it several nights ago i put a 20mm Meade research grade in to view Saturn in my 10" f/6. I changed to a 16mm Konig University and discovered the 20mm is giving me higher power than the 16mm.Both eyepieces are from the 80s and probably the barlow too. note> when i slide the 16mm out a bit, the magnification increases and the same results with 20mm. i had someone to verify, he agreed. I found some extensions at a local "Ace Hardware" store and cut to different lengths and can get all different magnifications. i have seen advertize variable barlows. Anyway can anyone have explain why the difference in the 16mm and the 20mm?

May 31, 2014 07:20 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Re: sky full

Posted By Jim Kuhns

REMEMBER THE GREAT RED SPOT THAT WAS VERY EASILY OBSERVED IN THE 60'S, 70'S THROUGH MY 6" CAVE.
IT LOOKS LIKE SUMMER IN THE SOUTHEAST IS HERE. IF I GET JUST 25 GOOD NIGHTS IN THE NEXT 4 MONTHS I WILL BEING DOING GOOD.

July 25, 2013 08:33 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Saturn with Moons July 17

Posted By Jim Kuhns

I have looked at this picture a number of times lately, one of the best if not THE BEST of Saturn i have ever seen in all my years. my interest in astronomy begin in 1963. The picture has that PORTHOLE EFFECT.

September 23, 2013 09:30 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

BMW 325 Problem

Posted By Jim Kuhns

if he has had a new wind shield install , the seal around the window may not have been installed correctly> note i had this problem with water getting in on the passengers side. the next thing to check to see if dirt or trash has build up around the bottom of the wind shield which can cause rain water to back into the auto. depending on how the car is made, there may be a cowl that has to be removed to check this possibly problem. if the car came where the roads are salted, this may have caused a hole in the above area mention. the other thing could be the heater is leaking, generally it is located in the same area as well, passenger side. hope this helps

January 16, 2014 08:42 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

John Dobson...

Posted By Jim Kuhns

Johns simple wooden mounts forever changed observational astronomy.
We maybe still lugging around heavy German equatorial mounts and small telescopes.
When i think of the many hours building copies of John scopes over the years, with the testing and trials as well as the final finished telescopes it was more than worth it all.
His telescopes building helped make new companies and sunk others.
I like to think of AL'S wonderful space walk eyepieces that came along in the early 80"s as a indirect spin off of John simple telescope making. Along with numbers of accessories, like the Telerad.

March 31, 2014 07:15 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M46 and NGC2438

Posted By Jim Kuhns

Well doing a mini messier marathon last night saw the planetary NGC243 in my 10" f/6 DOB. has a floating effect in the eyepiece under medium power against M46, though it is rather small.

May 2, 2014 08:45 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Day of Prayer

Posted By Jim Kuhns

Glad we can still have a Day of prayer, though we need to pray everyday GOD gives us breath. I was born in January 1950 and reborn or saved in January 1967. I have been praying for my nation for many years. This is not the America I grew up in. I have heard messages from many preachers and teachers talk about GOD judgment to come upon us. I want to say GOD has been trying to bring this nation back to him at least since 1962 through on going judgements year after year when HE was put out of the public school system. The public school system is a terrible wreck at this very moment. I heard a sermon many years ago, "The way the family goes is the way the churches go which in turn is the way nation goes. The way we live our lives will be determined who GOD puts in the office. Not to be pessimistic, but times ahead are not going to get any better, MARK 13:8. I do pray for our president and leaders several times a week, for GOD commands us to pray for them. Leavewith a life verse Psalm 73:28.

May 3, 2014 08:09 PM Forum: Eyepieces

20mm ES 100 Review...Not

Posted By Jim Kuhns

Rob, I hope this might help, though it is like splitting hairs. I have run into this problem in the past with 31 Nagler in my 18" f 4.5. What i did was run the mirror all the way back in the cell and realign slowly, trying not to move the mirror forward no more than possible, but still getting the optics aligned. The 31 would barely come to focus. Another thing you can try is move the secondary further away from the mirror but keeping it closey centered under the focuser,. This would stretch the focal point and just maybe the 20mm would come to focus.

May 21, 2014 07:15 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars, anyone?

Posted By Jim Kuhns

OBSERVING MARS AND SATURN 5-24 WITH MY 10"F/6 DOB USING A 6MM UO HD EYEPIECE 254X. DETAIL / CONTRAST ON BOTH PLANETS THAT EVENING WAS VERY GOOD FROM MY YARD HERE SAVANNAH, GA.
I OWNED A OBSERVING CHAIR A NUMBER YEARS AGO BUT SOLD IT HERE ON A-MART. IT WAS MADE OF OAK, RATHER HEAVY. I DISCOVERED AS I OBSERVED IN THE SAME AREA OF THE SKY, AND NOT HAVING TO MOVE THE CHAIR OR HAVING TO READJUST THE HEIGHT IT WAS OK. BUT AFTER SETTING UP A 18" AND WORKING THAT DAY IT BECAME A TO MUCH OF A BURDEN. FOR THOSE WHO DRAW OR IMAGE AT THE SCOPE WHERE YOU AS STILL MOST OF THE TIME ITS A GREAT COMFORT.