I'll never sink so low.

August 29, 2008 07:29 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

So much wisdom in so few words.

August 29, 2008 09:17 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

Well, he's hoping we are, anyway. He's hoping a bunch of us will think they're doing something progressive by voting for this woman, merely because of her sex, regardless of her policies.

August 29, 2008 09:19 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

I guess it was predictable that Don takes issue with the only things McCain says which I can agree with.

August 29, 2008 09:55 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

I don't agree with him completely. For example, I think his references to the meaningless oxymoron of "clean coal" are BS. It's mostly people like you who apply labels like "messiah" to the guy. Apparently it bothers you that he's popular.

August 29, 2008 11:34 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

Another thing worth pointing out is that Obama won the nomination through his own efforts and virtues, and against some very stiff competition. No one picked him to score some political point. You don't think the Democrats believe a black man has some kind of election advantage in this country, do you?

What did this woman do to deserve her place on McCain's ticket?

As for your stature joke, I'm sorry, I don't get it.

August 30, 2008 04:27 AM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

Clearly some of these he-men have been watching way too much "24". I wonder how many times this nightmare scenario figured into the actual instances of US government torture? Well, maybe our torturers need the practice for when the time really comes when we must toss out any semblance of morality to assure our survival.

August 30, 2008 04:21 AM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

Palin's opposition to the bridge is far from obvious:

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/08/29/did-palin-really-fight-the-bridge-to-nowhere.aspx

August 30, 2008 01:03 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

I hope you're right. I however have learned not to bet on the discernment of the American electorate.

August 30, 2008 07:03 PM Forum: Polls

Palin

Posted By Joe Bergeron

Actually, the President's oath of office says not one word about protecting the citizens. In fact he swears only to "protect, uphold, and defend" the Constitution. I think this clearly reveals the President's true first priority. The individual responsibilities specified in the Constitution are not prioritized or assigned greater weight than the entire document.

Personally, I could do with less "protection" and more Constitution from these guys. I can think of a lot of things that worry me more than terrorists, many of them coming from our own government.

Like this, for example:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/08/30/police_raids/

Behold the American Gestapo.

9/11 has been used by politicians as an excuse for an unrelated, unprovoked war, for violations of our rights, for the diminution of our freedoms and dignity, and in general for harping on fear to preserve and increase their power. 9/11 wasn't worth turning our country upside down over. It shouldn't determine our policies and our very state of mind forever. It was a terrible criminal act, but it wasn't an act of war against us, unless a few fanatics with box cutters can declare war against us and be taken seriously, regardless of the deadly success of their plan.

Since then, has the use of torture saved us from some further attack? I don't know, though if it had it's hard to believe Bush could have held back from crowing about it. Maybe he'll reveal all once he's out of office, unless that's all part of his papers and records he's ordered locked up forever.

After all, why should Osama bother to launch another attack? All he has to do is release a video now and then to send us all flailing about again. From his standpoint, I think his attack was more successful than he could ever have dreamed, and in more ways than one.