My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Wehr

May 11, 2002 04:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Zeiss semi apo

Posted By Paul Wehr

Is their anybody that has experience with the Zeiss AS100/1000 and AS80/1200 Semi apochromatic refractors. How are the views {visually} with this type of scope? How do these scopes rate visually and mechanically with some of the good achromats and ED refractors on the market today? I know for the price of one of these scopes one could buy a decent 4" apo. {Their is a collecting consideration in mind} How pleasing would the optics be on contrast and sharpness?
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

June 21, 2002 11:40 AM Forum: Zeiss

Posted By Paul Wehr

I have purchased a Zeiss Ib mount, I have not taken possession of the mount yet, but I was hoping some of the experts could give me some pointers and some do’s and don’ts. I know that the mount uses 220 volts 50HZ, which is the current used in Germany.
I live in the States and want to use this mount with our 110 volt current and for use with a 12-volt car battery. I know that this may sound shocking but I know nothing about electricity:-) What would be needed? Also if anyone would have some ideas about mount to tripod configurations,for more portability, as this mount was purchased with a heavy pier, which will not be used often. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Paul

July 9, 2002 08:09 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Shipping Damage

Posted By Paul Wehr

Do any Astromart users have any horror stories about having equipment damaged or lost during shipping, by FedEx, UPS, and so on. Maybe their are a few Astro lawyers or insurance brothers among us, that understand the insurance claim process that may help our fellow Astro brothers and sisters from getting the run around from these companies after shipping accidents.

Worst feeling in the world, is when that Apo refractor or the Starmaster or even the AP 900 mount you have been waiting for two years, shows up at your door in a box that looks like it was dug out of an Afghani cave, after a US bombing. And then the shipping company says the sender did not pack it well enough, or some other “it not our fault nonsense”!! There must be allot of this going on, considering the volume of transactions.

Paul

August 30, 2002 04:08 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re: logging

Posted By Paul Wehr

Tom,

Do you mean J. McCain the Democrat republican.

I think maybe some new blood, Trump, Iacocca. We need a businessman in the whitehouse.

Oh, there is integrity with Bush, its just hard to see it because of the blindness from the previous 8 years. I don't think we will move on Sadman until its the right move. Have some faith, give him a chance. I have not seen anybody in a very very long time do much better than GWB is doing now.

Don't blame Bush for Nam, that would be like blaming me for my ancestors slavery thing.

Paul

September 2, 2002 07:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Large aperture and light pollution

Posted By Paul Wehr

I read on the astronomics website they don’t recommend Schmidt cassegrain or any scopes of 10” or more of aperture due to light pollution. I quote part of the description of a Meade 10” Schmidt cassegrain.

<“But keep in mind that a 10" scope really should have dark and steady skies to take full advantage of its extra performance. It’s not a scope that’s happy in a light-polluted city or suburban observing environment. <

How much merit does this statement have?

What is meant by “ITS NOT A SCOPE HAPPY IN LIGHT POLUTED SKIES”?

Are we observers in light polluted areas limited to smaller aperture scopes? Are we wasting money going for 10” or more of aperture?

I have been reading allot about aperture, aperture, and aperture. It seems their are some differing views in this area. I have been going back and forth on a decision on buying a large scope, living in light polluted skies. I own an 8” dob a 4” semi apo and a 5” mak. I do not notice breathtaking differences in these three scopes. There was an article in Astronomy or Sky&Telescope magazine not long ago, I think it was called myths of astronomy, or ten Astronomy myths. In this article it stated that one myth, was a large scope will magnify the sky glow.

Any and all help and thoughts on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

January 25, 2003 02:00 PM Forum: Zeiss

Zeiss Barlow differences

Posted By Paul Wehr

I would like to ask those who may have used both or either one of the Zeiss 2X M44 version and the newer and very hard to find 1.25 2X Zeiss Barlows. What were your impressions and Were any differences noticed and in what scopes was the observing done? I believe these two Barlow’s are some of the best available with the TV powermates and the AP Barcon being the competition. Thanks.

Paul

February 14, 2003 06:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

2" or 1.25" wide angle

Posted By Paul Wehr

This may be a stupid question, but I will go for it anyway because a local camera/telescope store had answered this question I believe in error. Example in one scope one uses a 1.25” diagonal and a 1.25” eyepiece with lets say 82 degree AFOV, and another scope {identical scopes} with 2” diagonal and 2” eyepiece with 82 degree AFOV, {both eyepieces with same FL} I say the true field of view is the same. The dealer says the port hole effect will be greater with the 2” diag combo. If true field is true field then it should not make a difference. If I am right then why use 2” eyepieces in certain focal lengths that are available in 1.25”?

Paul

March 16, 2003 12:58 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Tripod for cross over scope/spotter

Posted By Paul Wehr

Hello Group,

I will buying some kind of small telescope {around 80mm}or spotting scope. I’m leaning towards the telescope for a good cross over instrument, so it can be used for fast observing sessions. This scope/spotting scope will also be used to get me into birding and terrestrial viewing. I have narrowed it down to the following scopes. TMB 80/600 or their 80/480 and the Tak Sky-90 and possibly a TV 85. If a spotting scope the following spotters. Zeiss diascope 85 or the Leica televid .

Now for question, what would be the best all around tripod/mount set up for my purposes? I have a Bogen 3030 tripod and was thinking of using the Bogen 410 head. Or should I go for some other set up like one of the TV mounts or maybe a Giro mount from APM? All your thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

Paul

March 30, 2003 06:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pentax SMC Ortho coating problems

Posted By Paul Wehr

Can any one comment or know anything about these eyepieces having quality control issues. Specifically to the coatings, how it affected the overall quality of image, and how to recognize the fault. Thank you.

Paul

April 19, 2003 03:18 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

How many Iraqi casualties

Posted By Paul Wehr

I do not hear much on the news about casualties on either side. I did read something like we lost 1 in every 450 of American troops, an unprecedented number in warfare taking over a country of this size. But how many did we have to kill of their military? I think the civilian casualties were low but not as low as our own troops. Considering that there were some heavy battles. But know one said how many at one time were confronting our troops. I was very curious if anybody has any info on this.

Paul