Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Wehr

July 25, 2004 06:36 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denk and Sky90

Posted By Paul Wehr

Has anybody tried to use a Denk bino on a sky90? Any focus issues?

Paul

August 1, 2004 09:14 PM Forum: Eyepieces

16 or 17mm Nagler

Posted By Paul Wehr

I have used the 12mm type 4 Nagler, which I thought gave a very good representation of the Spacewalk effect. Now I have tried a 16 type 5, only once, but was left feeling the spacewalk effect was missing. I wonder if the 17mm would be much better for the wide-field effect. if so Is this due to the size of the eye lens or the design of the eyepiece it self. If any body has tried these or compared them I would be very interested in your thoughts and evaluation. Thank you.

Paul

August 18, 2004 12:04 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Best erecting prism Help

Posted By Paul Wehr

Hello group,

I have bought the new Stellarvue/TMB 80s apo and I will certainly be using this for terrestrial use. I would like to know what would be the best erecting prism to use for this scope or any refractor for the matter. I certainly do not want to diminish the optical path with the wrong prism, although I know that it should ad some color.

The few I have been considering are the Williams optics 1.25" 45degree, the TV 1.25" 45 degree, the Vernon scope 2” 45 degree (expensive} and or possibly the Baader Amici. These are the only ones I know about.

Thank you all in advance

Paul

November 3, 2004 02:43 PM Forum: Politics

Thank the LORD

Posted By Paul Wehr

Bad news in Iraq
Lied about the WMD.
Will institute the Draft.
Will take senior citizen Medicare away.
Will screw up Social Security.
Did nothing for education.
The war on terror is/was not going well.
Draft dodger.

Oh and he’s a drunk TO!

It appears that most of the people were not falling for it.

Two great men ran for the most powerful post in the world, The better man won!

The rest of the bull was nothing more than to great men trying every trick and tool they had to WIN. Kerry’s style was one step below.

Paul

February 6, 2005 11:03 AM Forum: Zeiss

Where is all the Zeiss

Posted By Paul Wehr

I have been getting sad every time I look to this forum and don’t see any new posts. So I had some thoughts I wanted to share. I have been seeing much fewer posts {4 sale} the last six months or so for Zeiss scopes and equipment except maybe offerings from Markus/APM which seem to be kind of regular.

Though I do notice that the prices have increased, at least the asking prices. I can’t say if the items are actually selling for these astronomical prices {no pun intended} maybe Markus can answer that. It’s not that I feel that it is unusual for prices to go up for Zeiss, it just seems the asking prices have gone up a bit more than usual {imo} Do most agree with that? I have sold some Zeiss eyepieces and they do sell very fast.

Many of the other high end scope manufactures, lets call them the top five, Tak, TEC, TMB, AP, and Stellarvue { Vic’s newer Apos and tubes}. Maybe I should include TV, but the only TV that I thought compared favorably with the above examples is there NP101 {please no flames}. With all the improvements in optics and mechanics the last year or so one would think the desirability of Zeiss would wane a bit considering that not so much time has elapsed to really call them antiques, unless I am wrong on that. And with all the new eyepieces that compare favorably with the Zeiss oculars, why is it that prices are so high. I understand that they are no longer being made and the collector mentality but until recently if you looked for Zeiss stuff you could find it. That is changing. Any and all thoughts on this topic or anything having to do with the comparable qualitative differences of the Zeiss and the other top five offerings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Paul

July 22, 2005 07:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Color correction, Tak/TV

Posted By Paul Wehr

In comparing the Tak Sky 90 to a Televue 85 what are the differences in color correction. How noticeable, when is the color most prevalent {magnifications, what objects and with what eyepieces, etc.} I have read some of the reviews and the topic of color correction seems to vary a good amount. Which of these scopes would handle high magnification better.

If any one has one of these or both, I would greatly appreciate what your observations have been and any thoughts you have on the topic.

Thank you,

Paul

July 22, 2005 01:59 PM Forum: Refractors

TV/Tak

Posted By Paul Wehr

In comparing the Tak Sky 90 to a Televue 85 what are the differences in color correction. How noticeable, when is the color most prevalent {magnifications, what objects and with what eyepieces, etc.} I have read some of the reviews and the topic of color correction seems to vary a good amount. Which of these scopes would handle high magnification better.

If any one has one of these or both, I would greatly appreciate what your observations have been and any thoughts you have on the topic.

Thank you,

Paul

August 12, 2005 05:36 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Original Nagler 11 & 13

Posted By Paul Wehr

What are the differences in design and usability of these two eyepieces and how do they compare with the newer versions. I see these pop up for sale now and then, much more for the 13 than the 11. Is the 11 still considered collectible now that there is the T6 11's

Paul

August 12, 2002 08:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

bought a lxd55 ar 5 "......shud I be scared

Posted By Paul Wehr

Hello John,

I would not worry too much about Meade going under right now. Their series 4000 oculars are fine for the refractor you mentioned or any other scope for that matter, but I would start with a few TeleVue plossls, they will be more consistent, have better resale value when you want to sell them and TeleVue customer service and warranty are excellent. You may consider some UO Ortho’s, if you’re on a budget, they to are excellent. I prefer the UO over the Meade’s for planetary and lunar work.

Where did you buy your scope in New York city?

Paul

November 30, 2002 02:45 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Some thoughts on SETI and life elsewhere.

Posted By Paul Wehr

Hello Pete,

I think the general consensus is that given the age and immensity of the universe that their should be many civilizations so why not then civilizations with intelligence levels similar to ours, say give or take a thousand years or so. At least I think that is the general belief for believers. I think that if there were many super advanced civilizations out there, we would have signs somewhere. Just my thoughts, maybe the thread will get going.

Paul