My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dave Gede

November 26, 2003 11:00 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Suggestions on Supplier for OTA...

Posted By Dave Gede

We are working on converting our club scope from a truss dob newtonion to a cassegrain design. Since the primary was originally part of a cassegrain, it already has the central hole.

I was asked to do some research on where we could find an OTA for the new scope. We figure it will have to be custom made.

Any suggestions on suppliers?

Thanks,
Dave

April 15, 2004 12:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Red Light Penci?

Posted By Dave Gede

Anyone ever seen a red light pencil? I see all sorts of red light pens but I like to take notes in the field in pencil.

Just wondering...
Dave

December 3, 2003 06:04 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

High Power Green Lasers

Posted By Dave Gede

John,

I think you will find that they are selling the high powered laser pointers as "OEM" devices.

They list on their site that they are only sold for "Professional Use" and if you read further they state that they are being sold to "incorporate into the users project".

So offically they are not being sold as pointers...but as components. Yet they mention that they are much more easily viewed. So I am not sure.

I think the price tag will probably keep most folks away.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

December 12, 2003 03:15 PM Forum: Telescope Making

mirrorkits.com

Posted By Dave Gede

Hi Mark,

I can only comment on MirrorKits.com. I am working an 8" plate glass mirror at the moment. I ran out of lapping powder and needed some quickly.

While hunting around I found MirrorKits.com. They had just what I was looking for. Their ordering page is still in Beta so it is quicker (and imo safer) to just send them an e-mail.

I got a response to my intial questions the same day and had shipping and final costs within 24 hours. They shipped quickly and resolved a minor issue quickly and professionally.

My experience with them was good and I will do business with them in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the project!

Dave

February 17, 2004 08:01 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Wow - someone sent him $$,$$$

Posted By Dave Gede

OK...I am a little confused here.

First, let me say that not only have I seen the scam and Herbs warnings about it, I have actually received an offer similar to this on another site that I did not fall for.

Now, with that said, I have a question. In all my transactions, if I am paid with a check or something other than paypal (especially if the person does not have extensive feedback) I wait for the funds to clear my bank before proceeding (that means the money is in my account long enough for the check to get through the clearing house to the issuing bank - usually about 10-15 days).

If someone were to show up to collect the item and excess cash, they would be told to wait for the item to clear. Now when the check bounces, I might be out some fees, but I certainly would not be out merchandise or cash.

I am just confused about how a good seller/dealer on this or other sites would end up losing merchandise or large amounts of cash here.

Am I missing something or am I just too logical to get swept into this scam?

Hmmm....
Dave

September 23, 2005 07:09 PM Forum: Polls

Worst hurricane reporter question/s

Posted By Dave Gede

A NEW local radio reporter was on the air live with a local radio host from New Orleans during the hourly news. After several mundane questions he uncorked this one...and I quote:

"If the levys were built to withstand a category 3 storm why didn't you try to change the category of the storm before it hit?"

There was dead silence then a discreet chuckle from the guy in New Orleans...his response was "What?"

Our guy follows up with..."Couldn't you have just changed the cateogry so the levys would not break?"

At this point the listeners and I guess someone at the station realized our idiot reporter was either drunk or stupid or both...they went to a commercial. I have not heard him on the air since!

May 11, 2006 06:43 AM Forum: Polls

Who wins?

Posted By Dave Gede

Heard and interesting take on this. When Paris was discarded, her votes were more likely to go to Kat than anyone else (last female, pop, etc). Since Chris is a "rocker", his vote totals have stayed high, but flat. He is not gaining much when others are voted off (with the possible exception of Ace).

This week was the critical mass where the pop votes finally beat out the "rocker" votes. Sort of the same thing that happened last year with Bo.

The big question is how in the world Taylor has survived??????