My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Savoie

October 12, 2022 02:40 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

24 hours and ad still not published?

Posted By William Savoie

I have the same problem. But my problem is that I can not find the "Place Ad" link. Which page is it on? Is it black, or red, or hidden in some way? It would be nice if there was a step by step process for people who have never, in the many years, placed a classified ad.

We humans think a day is 24 hours, but to a computer it can be the integer part of day or up to two days. I have been a member of astromart for 8 years, but never posted, so I just need to relax and wait. It seem opaque in how it operates, but I have 35 telescopes and they need to move on. This December I turn 77, and so I need to not die until my garage is clean. My wife will have enough problems.

Questions:
  1. What are the size limits to posting a picture in a classified ad?
  2. What are the overall size limits to posting a bunch of pictures?
  3. Is there a review process before the submitted classified is posted on the website?

Thanks in advance.

October 12, 2022 02:48 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Why am I noted as "NOT CONFIRMED"? My Classified never posted: Looking for a TeleVue 85.

Posted By William Savoie

My fresh classified is "NOT CONFIRMED" as a retired software engineer, I can only suspect that somehow my pictures were not compressed enough, and that created an error message that is opaque. Is there a size limit for posted pictures? Thanks in advance..

October 12, 2022 03:10 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

What are the limits to photos posted in the Classifieds?

Posted By William Savoie

Modern cell phones produce big photos. Knowing that I installed Gimp, and downloaded the big cell phone pictures and reduced them by 70 percent. I was able to place 7 or 8 photos of 1.5 megabyte size on the classified ad add page. But it has been more than 24 hours and the classified ad show "Not Confirmed" in red, which seems to be an error message of some kind. Is this related to file size?

I am a retired software engineer and I am trying to guess what might be going on. What am I missing here. Please help.

October 12, 2022 03:23 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Why am I noted as "NOT CONFIRMED"? My Classified never posted: Looking for a TeleVue 85.

Posted By William Savoie

I have looked carefully all over the screen, clicked on most of the options, and nothing happens. This makes me think that 'Not Confirmed" is a general error message. So maybe my files were too big, or there were too many posted. Some limit was exceeded and this "Not confirmed" is the resulting error message.

Once approach I could use is to assume the files are too big, and put in tiny files, say 10 k, post it, and see if the "Not confirmed" error comes up. Then I could delete the classified and try larger and larger files until I reverse engineer how it works. But it would be easier if someone could tell me the limits of single pictures and the limits of groups of picture.

Maybe "Not Confirmed" means that someone must approve of the post before it can show up on the astromart website?

October 12, 2022 04:18 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Three Classified Ad Basic Questions

Posted By William Savoie

Cell phones produce big pictures, Gimp can be used to slim them down, and this brings up three questions.

Questions:
  1. What are the size limits to posting a picture in a classified ad?
  2. What are the overall size limits to posting a bunch of pictures?
  3. Is there a review process before the submitted classified is posted on the website?

Gimp can load a picture, and then export it to a different name at a smaller size. One doesn't need to learn Gimp, to do just the load and export. Of course it is possible the astromart can do the shrinking of pictures directly, but I don't know if they do that.

October 12, 2022 08:27 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Posted By William Savoie

In my Classified Ad my original 7 photos amounted to 32.45 megabytes. I knew instinctively that might be too big, so I used Gimp to squeeze it down to 7.6 megabytes, which was a 76% reduction. After reading your target of 100k I further reduced my pictures, but at about 0.5 megabytes, they were looking really bad. As I was about to bite the bullet with the now 0.6 megabyte pictures, someone somewhere allowed my stuck classified to be seen on the web. Happy I am, and I thought others who are learning might gain from reading this post. I don't know what the limits are, but they allowed one photo that was 1.4 megabytes. All is good, and this process is less opaque now.

October 13, 2022 05:12 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ