My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Charles Stevenson

October 9, 2015 02:09 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Partial Andromeda

Posted By Charles Stevenson

Took another stab at andromeda. Really cloudy and humid night so almost gave up and went inside. In a clear spell decided to shoot short exposures at max iso again. This is 90 x 20s exposures @ ISO 25600. I attempted to stack in mosaic mode but there were distinct lines between regions so I just cropped the best one...

October 13, 2015 02:44 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Andromeda mosaic

Combined more subs. This is 255 x 20s @ ISO 25600 w/darks. Went technicolor 'cause I like it. ;-)

November 2, 2015 04:16 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Full moon selfie

Took this a few days ago. Have moved up from the C8 to a 10" newt adapted for the EQ mount. Also have a proper table now. Moving the shed eventually and cutting the roof off. Getting serious.

November 6, 2015 11:51 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Elephant Nebula

Having trouble getting the elephant nebula nailed down. Any tips? Here's one go at it...

November 7, 2015 07:38 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Eye Drop Dissolves Cataracts

This looks really interesting.... was just thinking of Tom and his excitement after having the surgery...

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-developed-an-eye-drop-that-can-dissolve-cataracts-from-eyes

January 23, 2016 10:32 PM Forum: Telescope Making

41.75" (1060.45mm) reflector

I recently acquired a mirror blank that is 41.75" in diameter and 10" thick. Needless to say it was VERY hard to move. My primary interest is astrophotography and I'm contemplating various designs. I figured I would post and see what comes to mind when you all think of constructing a telescope around such a large primary mirror. I haven't decided on focal length although I believe f/3 would be pretty cool based on "Le1m" telescope (Google Chrome will translate it for you) http://www.astrosurf.com/altaz/1000.htm Perhaps something that could be craned onto a mobile base for outreach and back onto an EQ mount for photography. I have no time frame or budget for the project completion.

February 1, 2016 06:39 PM Forum: Politics

Iowa Caucus Bets

Post who you think will win.

Bernie & Trump are my picks...

February 5, 2016 04:23 AM Forum: Politics

Bernie Wins the Debate

IMHO. I really enjoyed watched Hillary and Bernie go at it. Much less boring than when O'Malley was in the race. I think Bernie outperformed Hillary but I am very biased against her.

June 3, 2016 12:39 AM Forum: Eyepieces

5.7mm eye piece(s)?

Hi all, I finished my first 8" mirror and want to enter it into the Stellafane optical/mechanical competition this August. The focal ratio came out to f/5.7. I read on their site that one should have an eye piece that matches closely the focal length of the telescope. The only f/5.7 EP I have found is by Takahashi and is WAY outside my price range. Any thoughts? Anyone else entered a 'scope into an optical contest?

June 3, 2016 12:54 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Charlie's first telescope

I posted this on CN but also wanted to share that I finally finished my first mirror. Came out to f/5.7 (8") and looked pretty decent to me. Thinking of shipping the mirror off this week to get coated... haven't heard back from OWL. What's the quickest turnaround? SpectruM? Magestic?