My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Charles Stevenson

August 23, 2016 05:38 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Veil Nebula 8/22/16

Posted By Charles Stevenson

After a lengthy break I took my first deep sky photo last night of the Veil Nebula. This is the first draft so just quickly stretched the levels and curves to make it pop out... I felt like tossing the telescope after an hour or so of trying to get everything aligned... my stars weren't even round in the center so I was fighting mirror tilt... Interestingly I noticed that for the size chip in my Canon 6D it doesn't appear I can get full illumination. It's a rather large secondary mirror as it stands and I hate to think about it but perhaps a larger one would be in order for these wide shots. I mean it does fully fit but just barely and so I'm thinking that could be the source of some of the vignetting.... this is a crop.. got rid of some of the coma on the edges.

August 28, 2016 09:35 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

NGC 6960

Took my first stab at NGC 6960 last week. I think this might be the first time I've imaged this and it's definitely becoming a favorite. I loved fellow club member's rendition of it a year or so ago. Rough draft since I'm out the door in a few... this was ~1 hour of 1m exposures with Canon 6D at ISO 1600... Metaguide for tracking...

September 11, 2016 05:31 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Pacman Nebula

Pacman Nebula (NGC 281) taken 9/9 during a 2-hour lapse in clouds. The "seeing" was pretty bad and so I'm amazed I was able to get a few targets imaged. Specs: 10" f/4.5 Newtonian with Baader Planetarium MPCC and Canon 6D DSLR camera. 45 x 30 second exposures at ISO 12800. Sensor temp ~80F (eek)

January 8, 2015 11:56 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

New Toys!

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing! =)

January 9, 2015 12:11 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Power Tank

What did you end up buying? Are you happy with it? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on pretty much all the offerings for 12v DC power packs. This one looks nice: Duracell 600 Watt Powerpack Pro and I also saw Xantrex XPower Powerpack 600HD Portable Power Source. Read various reviews on Amazon. The marine batteries sound great but are a bit out of my price range...

January 10, 2015 09:38 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Which diagonal should I use?

Nevermind... having compared the two the answer is clearly the 2". Even the price will tell you $34 new vs $130 new. I'm so green to all this that I didn't at first realize the 2" worked with 1.25" EPs. Now on to this polar axis finderscope business. It's already installed when I received the mount. I mucked around with the dials without realizing what it was... haven't used it yet. Is it worth aligning the axis and using this at night? I feel like I'm answering my own question as I type this.. It is probably best since my GPS and other electronics seems to fail in 10F weather.

January 11, 2015 05:56 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

NBC News Recommended 2015 Space Events

I went to Lusaka, Zambia in 2001 for two weeks to see the total solar eclipse (and the Solipse Festival wink. It was pretty awesome to be in the path of totality! The birds all got really quiet and when the sun was totally eclipsed there were tons of stars. The horizon all the way around was a deep blue and red like the last traces of a sunset. I remember seeing quite a few telescopes setup (NASA also if I remember). I used a piece of what I think is welder's glass to look at it. The temperature dropped quite noticeably too...

Update: Yes here is the NASA bit... http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/TSE2001/TSE2001.html

January 13, 2015 09:50 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Hyperstar Alternative?

Richard Keppler said:

Charles Stevenson said:

Hello all, I've been Googling around and haven't had much luck. Is there an affordable alternative to the HyperStar 3 lens for an 8" Celestron? Is the lens absolutely necessary? Can something be rigged up or machined or 3D printed... Gorilla tape? ;-)

I think you posted this in the wrong section. There must be a Comedy forum somewhere.

LOL. I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it. Touché wink I did mean it as a serious question. Is there an alternative product to the HyperStar 3 for the C8? I find it hard to believe there are so many manufacturers of EPs, filters, dew heaters, mounts, tripods, cables, dovetails, finderscopes, etc., etc. and only one offering for a FASTAR C8 camera hookup.

January 14, 2015 11:58 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Comet Lovejoy

Nice shot! =)

January 15, 2015 09:50 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Taking the plunge

I bought my first copy of the famed Observer's Handbook 2015 and it arrived today. =) Looking forward to reading it cover to cover and hopefully become more conversant wink