California Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Next APM 400 Maksutov Cassegrain in Progress

Started by apmtelescopes, 10/18/2011 07:34AM
Posted 10/18/2011 07:34AM | Edited 10/18/2011 07:36AM Opening Post
After some delay the next optical set for a high quality 400 mm Maksutov Cassegrain has arrived, tube is almost completed and get assembled soon with some little extra work. The Master Matthias Wirth is again doing all mechanical work.

This 16" Maksutov going to western USA

best wishes
Markus

Pictures show rear polished surface of 400 mm Mak primary

Attached Image:

apmtelescopes's attachment for post 54288

clear skies

Markus Ludes
APM-Telescopes/Germany
Posted 10/18/2011 07:35AM #1
front of primary mirror showing a USA chart :-)

Attached Image:

apmtelescopes's attachment for post 142223

clear skies

Markus Ludes
APM-Telescopes/Germany
Posted 10/18/2011 08:17AM #2
Hey Markus,

Out of curiosity, how heavy is it and how fast/slow are the optics? Any price range?

Anthony.
Posted 10/19/2011 01:25PM #3
Astrositall has such a pretty color -- like frozen honey.

Jim McSheehy
Posted 03/09/2012 11:45AM | Edited 03/09/2012 11:47AM #4
Here's the Big Mak on its A-P 1200 mount. It made the trip to PHX without any issues. Customs did not even open the crate.

It brought with it an unusual sky for Arizona, high altitude humidity which manifests itself with jet contrails that grow into high cirrus clouds.

Not totally de-bugged yet. I've determined collimation will take two people. One to look through the scope and one to make the adjustments. The scope is large, so I look at the difraction pattern, step up on a small ladder and make a tweak, climb down and look and I find I made it in the wrong direction.

Also have some small orthogonality issues with the mount. The FOV is small with the 4,000mm focal length, so it needs to be right. I made the holes in the mount plate somewhat large, so we would not have a problem when bolting up the scope. Now I just need to find the right size hammer to tap it into place ;-)

Will have more to say when fully commissioned.

Cheers,

Markus Ludes said:

After some delay the next optical set for a high quality 400 mm Maksutov Cassegrain has arrived, tube is almost completed and get assembled soon with some little extra work. The Master Matthias Wirth is again doing all mechanical work.

This 16" Maksutov going to western USA

best wishes
Markus

Pictures show rear polished surface of 400 mm Mak primary

Attached Image:

Edd Weninger's attachment for post 143611