M42

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Astro-physics 178 F9

Started by joemike, 07/09/2012 07:30PM
Posted 07/09/2012 07:30PM Opening Post
Hello, I have been observing with a recently acquired 178 F9 it is really awesome what that size refractor can do. I am wondering about the feasability/advisability/difficulty of having the tube cut down for binoviewing at native power. Currently eyepieces come to focus about 3/4" of an inch out. It seems taking a few inches off with help with binoviewing and portability of the scope.
thanks
joe
Posted 07/10/2012 08:25AM #1
My Traveler is modified as you are thinking about. I have various length threaded extension tubes to accomodate different set-ups.

Joe Herzing said:

Hello, I have been observing with a recently acquired 178 F9 it is really awesome what that size refractor can do. I am wondering about the feasability/advisability/difficulty of having the tube cut down for binoviewing at native power. Currently eyepieces come to focus about 3/4" of an inch out. It seems taking a few inches off with help with binoviewing and portability of the scope.
thanks
joe
Posted 07/16/2012 04:55PM #2
If you cut the tube you will greatly devalue the original scope. Why not make your own appropriat length tube. Then when it comes time to sell you will not only have the origenal scope but also what is needed to set up for binoviewing