NGC 6992 "bone hand"

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Need recommendation on EQ mount

Started by Jun, 06/01/2003 11:57AM
Posted 06/01/2003 11:57AM Opening Post
I have an AP F7 92mm refractor and I am looking for a light weight EQ mount 15-20 lbs.I have a Tak EM-10 which is too heavy and overkill for this little 6 lb. scope any suggestion will be helpfull,thanks Jun
Posted 06/02/2003 10:29AM #1
Orion has the new SkyView Pro EQ mount. Weight is 23.5 lbs including the tripod. A 4.5 and & 7 lb counter weights are included for about $320. The Orion EQ-2 mount is only $149 but I am not sure of it's quality.

Have you considered a good Alt-Az mount for visual use? I think either the Giro mini or Unistar Light should handle your 6 lb scope just fine. I took delivery of the Giro-2 deluxe last week. The Giro-2 weighs less than five pounds. I mounted my 6"F8( 26 lbs, ~60" long) on one side and 24 lbs of counter weight to balance. The mount tracks smoothly at over 200X! It's a very simple design with amazing load capability.

Erik D
Posted 06/04/2003 10:51AM #2
> I have an AP F7 92mm refractor and I >am looking for a light weight EQ mount 15-20 lbs.I have a >Tak EM-10 which is too heavy and overkill for this little 6 >lb. scope any suggestion will be helpfull,thanks Jun

Too Heavy and overkill! Seems to me for the AP 92mm F7 the EM-10 should be perfect! The only lighter weight solution would be a Teleview Gibralter mount this is what I use for my Stowaway. Another option would be maybe the EM-2 mount or that Eclipse chaser mount that Takahashi makes but I don't know if they are that much lighter. The Vixen mounts and the Chinese mounts are about the same mass as the EM-10. One solution may be one of the early Celestron Vixen polaris mounts but I have not seen one of those in years but on that very rare occasion they do show up on Astro-martfrom time to time. That mount was lighter and smaller than the EM-10. BTW I use my AP 900 goto when I want to track with my Stowaway.:-)

Clear Skies
Dwight L Bogan