M27 - 12 LX200R

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

New Observatory in Rochester NY.

Started by RolandC, 05/01/2015 02:44PM
Posted 05/01/2015 02:44PM Opening Post
You would not think that an observatory should be located in Rochester, since they get an average of only 50 days cloud free per year. But, on my recent visit there, I stumbled across this unique observatory located right in the heart of town at the airport.

Rolando

Attached Image:

RolandC's attachment for post 59342
Posted 05/29/2015 09:04PM #2
God - that thing is still on display there! It is indeed true that Rochester is home of Bausch & Lomb, Eastman Kodak, Xerox, Rochester Precision Optics, U or Rochester’s "Institute of Optics" etc. I examined that piece and it's just a tube thing with a flat disc of glass on the front. I remember wishing the artist had at least consulted a local optics company for something a bit more lensish. Tom Dey

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 06/04/2015 10:52AM #3
Roland Christen said:

You would not think that an observatory should be located in Rochester, since they get an average of only 50 days cloud free per year. But, on my recent visit there, I stumbled across this unique observatory located right in the heart of town at the airport.

Rolando
As a current Rochester resident, those 50 days usually coincide with a full moon. sad