Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nice evening

Started by laservet, 11/04/2011 03:29AM
Posted 11/04/2011 03:29AM Opening Post
My wife and I spent yesterday afternoon with the 130 GT and Ethos eyepieces observing Bald Eagles and Great Blue Herons on the James River, finished up with the Moon and Jupiter after sunset. I mounted the scope on a UA alt-az mount on a Gitzo tripod. What a sweet combination for birding!!!

And every time we set up at the marina to bird watch we meet the nicest people. A woman and her 3 year old hungry son came up to the deck because her son saw the telescope; usually people aren't very careful of their children around the equipment, but she was very respectful and held his hands while he was at the eyepiece to make sure he didn't touch anything. She wanted to stay and chat but her son was hungry so they took off. Then a gentleman stopped by, drawn by the scope. He does engraving -- leather, firearms, but his specialty is deep relief engraving of knives, has an 8" Meade SCT on a mount that he's selling for $100. It was a gift to him but he can't figure out how to use it. I offered to walk him through its use, but he is putting the scope in the community yard sale this Saturday. I'll be out of town this weekend but if it doesn't sell I'll check it out, hard to screw up for $100 unless it's trashed.

Thanks to AP for the fantastic scope!
Posted 11/04/2011 05:31AM #1
I'll have the 152 Starfire set up at Goochland on Nov 18 & 19, weather permitting. Favorite target: trapezium-like multiple stars in IC 1396 and NGC 281, and multiples like Roe 47, 8 Lac, and AR Cas. Jupiter too.

John
Posted 11/04/2011 05:56PM #2
Did you set up at Riverview Park? My mother-in-law lives next to that park. BTW I received my GT in August. It is fabulous.

Regards,
Louis Marchesi
[COLOR="Gray"]New London Township, PA[/COLOR]