Kite

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Some pix from Hawaii - the Big Island

Started by RolandC, 11/27/2012 08:37PM
Posted 11/27/2012 08:37PM Opening Post
Spent 10 days on the Big Island, checking out some property for a possible observatory. The trades were with us for the first couple of days, blowing at a good clip around 20 knots, which always clears the air and makes for some spectacular deep sky viewing. A couple of pixs from the week plus that we spent there.

This first shot was taken with my Sony NEX7 camera, 30 second exposure x 5 subs, with the Sony zoom lens set to 20mm, F3.5. Not the greatest but shows the winter Milky Way as it rose over the house we were staying at. The area is in North Kohala at about 900ft elevation, and super dark with no street lights. Nearest small town is 15 miles down the coast.

Rolando

Attached Image:

RolandC's attachment for post 56811
Posted 11/27/2012 08:41PM #1
After a couple days the trade winds died down and some high clouds moved in. Got a nice set of rings around the first quarter Moon, with lots of color in the inner ring and one gigantic outer ring that did not fit quite into the 18mm len's field of view.

I know this picture does not look real, but indeed that is what it looked like. There were high ripply clouds and some lower stuff off the ocean that produced these multiple rings.

Rolando

Attached Image:

RolandC's attachment for post 146167
Posted 11/28/2012 05:43AM #2
Rolando,

I must check to see when the next total solar eclipse will pass though Hawaii so as to have the perfect excuse for the islands.

I must get a taste of those wonderful Hawaiian skies and darkness at some point. Ditto for some celestial gems further south than what is possible from home.

Good to see you back! wink

Anthony.
Posted 12/05/2012 06:25PM #3
I just bought a Sony NEX7. Great little camera. Nice to see some photos. Thanks.