Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Did a Nexstar No-No, need advice.

Started by tomdisco, 10/27/2003 01:49AM
Posted 10/27/2003 01:49AM Opening Post
Yes, I read the warning on page 12 of the manual that said to loosen the clutches on the Nexstar 11 GPS prior to transport but promptly forgot about it when I drove 77 miles to the Mid Atlantic Star Party with the azimuth clutch fully locked!

The result was a steady deterioration of the slewing capability to the point where it will hardly slew at all in azimuth. A local dealer who was present doubted I did any real damage but suspected there is probably a loose set screw somewhere that needs to be accessed. He suggested I would probably have to have the Celestron tech department talk me through it.

One can never reach anyone live at Celestron and a call-back has about a 1% chance of reaching me while I am home with the scope.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? If so, how did you get it resolved? Are there published instructions with photos available anywhere regarding service of the clutches?

Would appreciate any advice from sage Nexstar veterans except for suggestions to visit the Yahoo discussion group. I do not care for the Yahoo site and wish to handle it on Astromart. All other help is welcome. Thank you.
Posted 10/27/2003 02:10AM #1
Presuming it was in a case or a box, I'd agree with the dealer. There is virtually no way to stress the azimuth clutch if the scope isn't mounted. More than likely, as he pointed out, the vibrations loosened a set screw.