NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

First GEM

Started by cagy, 03/06/2010 05:53PM
Posted 03/06/2010 05:53PM | Edited 03/06/2010 05:54PM Opening Post
Getting back into astronomy after many years, actually since a teenager. I'm looking at purchasing a CGEM or CGE mount. I know the CGE has been discontinued, but is still available at Orion. Presently I plan to start with a mount using my DSLR with telephotos to image the night sky and will add an OTA down the road once I figure out what I want. I understand the payload difference and other advantages the CGE offers, but my question is does the new CGEM offer a better GOTO or electronics system. It has 3-star alignment where the CGE doesn't seem to. I can afford the CGE, but is it worth twice the price and am I buying outdated equipment buying the CGE? The CGE Pro is a bit out of my budget. Appreciate your opinions on the subject before I make the purchase. Thanx!
Posted 03/07/2010 03:51PM #1
Kelly Lyons said:

Getting back into astronomy after many years, actually since a teenager. I'm looking at purchasing a CGEM or CGE mount. I know the CGE has been discontinued, but is still available at Orion. Presently I plan to start with a mount using my DSLR with telephotos to image the night sky and will add an OTA down the road once I figure out what I want. I understand the payload difference and other advantages the CGE offers, but my question is does the new CGEM offer a better GOTO or electronics system. It has 3-star alignment where the CGE doesn't seem to. I can afford the CGE, but is it worth twice the price and am I buying outdated equipment buying the CGE? The CGE Pro is a bit out of my budget. Appreciate your opinions on the subject before I make the purchase. Thanx!

The software used by the CGE and CGEM is identical. The current build does NOT have a 3 star option. It's "two-star," which allows you to add four cone alignment "calibration" stars.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/