Iris Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Mating scope and mount

Started by tomdisco, 12/19/2014 07:19PM
Posted 12/19/2014 07:19PM Opening Post
I have a C9.25 mounted on an Advanced CG-5GT mount which is used only at public viewing events. The mount takes a fair amount of time to set up and do both polar and star alignments plus calibration stars. The problem with that is that public viewing events often begin even before we can see Polaris! I know Celestron never mated the 9.25 to the Nexstar SE series mounts but I'm curious what your opinions would be. Would a 23-lb load (including accessories) be too much for the gears in the SE mount?
Posted 12/22/2014 03:24PM #1
My SE mount works great with a 60mm Lunt solar scope and was usable with a 15-lb 6" Russian Mak-Cass + accessories which is about the max I'd want to put on the SE. There's also limited clearance when the mount is pointed near zenith so I had to push the Mak-Cass OTA forward beyond its balance point to clear the base. The SE seemed to handle the weight but the off-balance configuration was awkward. I tried a C8 OTA on the SE once and found it a bit oversized for the mount and preferred using an ASGT GEM instead.

Celestron's Starsense (haven't tried one yet) is suppose to automate the alignment process in twilight and/or light-polluted conditions and might be an option with your existing GEM.

Good luck - Tom