Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

My First C8 - a couple questions

Started by meadfish, 02/25/2008 03:29AM
Posted 02/25/2008 03:29AM | Edited 02/26/2008 01:40AM Opening Post
Hi all, I recently bought a used Celestar C8. It was not abused but perhaps a bit neglected. I see some smudges etc on the front corrector. I've seen some methods for cleaning but wondering how risky it is. I don't want to make it worse. also, the focus knob seems to catch once per revolution in the same spot. Is this normal? Is it a common problem? is it something that me a novice can fix?

any help greatly appreciated. also any tips that will help me get the most out of it smile

Thanks in advance, Jerry Mead
Posted 02/26/2008 03:26PM #1
Jerry Mead said:

Hi all, I recently bought a used Celestar C8. It was not abused but perhaps a bit neglected. I see some smudges etc on the front corrector. I've seen some methods for cleaning but wondering how risky it is. I don't want to make it worse. also, the focus knob seems to catch once per revolution in the same spot. Is this normal? Is it a common problem? is it something that me a novice can fix?

any help greatly appreciated. also any tips that will help me get the most out of it smile

Thanks in advance, Jerry Mead

A "smudge" can be anything from a barely detectable something to a splotch of bird poop. If it's more the former, leave it alone. If the latter, correctors can be safely cleaned. Just clean as you would a good camera lens.

As for the focuser, my adive is DO NOT go tearing into the OTA without help. Try racking the mirror to both end of focus a few times and see if that helps. If not, it might be best to "call Celestron."

8)

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 02/28/2008 06:26AM | Edited 02/28/2008 06:29AM #2
Thanks all for the replies. I think I can be content with the corrector since it appears to be light smudging and not something major like bird dung. The focus issue though is annoying, I wasn't sure if that was common to these scopes. I looked at that article and may endeavor it one rainy day. wink What type of grease would be recommended if I get that far?

Clear skies to all,

Jerry