BO 101mm Backpacker (Non) News!

Started by jkurtz555, 09/13/2005 04:03PM
Posted 09/13/2005 04:03PM Opening Post
Just spoke to one of BO's dealers and there is no delivery date in sight...Burgess appears to be stuck in getting "components" produced for the 101mm...so it seems the "emperor still has no clothes".
Jeff Kurtz
Posted 09/19/2005 12:35PM #1
>>>>Just spoke to one of BO's dealers and there is no delivery date in sight...Burgess appears to be stuck in getting "components" produced for the 101mm...so it seems the "emperor still has no clothes".
Jeff Kurtz
---------

The sad part of the various attempts by BO to produce a reasonably fast 100mm scope is that if BO had just had reasonable expectations, the original BO 102F6 could have been a real winner.

For the past week I have been travelling about northern Arizona and New Mexico with my Burion 100 F6, (Burgess OTA with an Orion 100mmF6 Objective.) This scope really does a nice job on DSOs, providing wonderful views of the big ones like M7 and Andromeda and zooming nicely on the small ones like the Blue Snowball.

I have also been very pleased with its performance on double stars, one night I was able to get a clean split on the double-double at 50x, routinely I can do 67x. It also does a decent job on Unequal doubles like delta cygnus. On the planets, false color is very apparent but I still find the performance acceptable, the cassini is easy, shadow transits are doable...

The combination of the superior mechanicals of the Burgess OTA (especially the focuser) combined with good quality achromatic optics from Synta/Orion fulfills the original promise of the 102F6.

If BO had aimed for this combination in the beginning rather than believing that some magic color correction was possible, I think Bill would have had a real winner and would have had lots of happy owners.

As it is, with the Backpacker, he seems to have again taken too big a bite and ended up with nothing but a bitter mouthful.

Jon
Posted 10/11/2005 09:54PM #2
A month or so ago Jeffery Kurtz wrote:

"Just spoke to one of BO's dealers and there is no delivery date in sight...Burgess appears to be stuck in getting "components" produced for the 101mm...so it seems the "emperor still has no clothes".

-----------

Any new information on the emperor's clothing???

jon
Posted 10/14/2005 01:39AM #3
To everyone who has posted in this forum: This is just a rerun of the last 2 year's refractor fiascos. Get over it, move on, get a LIFE, and to H... with BO. BO is the P.T. Barnum of astronomy..there is a sucker born every minute.