Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Bought my 127 more for curiousity

Started by Gerry F, 01/11/2004 04:39PM
Posted 01/11/2004 04:39PM Opening Post
Hi everyone, I've been reading these recent posts about the quality of the 127's with great interest. I have to agree with comments about quality etc, from Chinese optics. We have to remember that the original 100 scopes sold for $289.00. A bargain in anybody's book assuming that the final product is half-way decent. My scope is sn #27 and I'm impressed with it. I bought it more out of curiosity than the need for a 5" scope. I have a 6" Astro-Physics Triplet of 1986 vintage. I knew when I bought the 127, that there was no way it would compare favorably with the 6"(light grasp alone is better)but I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The finder cross hairs are usless(I took 'em out), The focuser was smooth but had to be squared with the optics, but once that was done, I have a high contrast, very well baffled nice looking $289.00 scope that gives textbook star images and nice views of the Moon and Saturn (haven't tried Jupiter yet). I figured the worst case senario would be if I didn't like it I would sell it on Astromart like at least 4 other people are doing! But this particular 127 is a keeper. When you buy Chinese, it's more "the luck of the draw" because they ARE mass-produced. I must have lucked out because I'm a happy camper. Gerry Feulner