My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

New 210mm toy from China

Started by DonDurbin, 09/05/2009 07:04AM
Posted 09/05/2009 07:04AM Opening Post
Hi All,

I decided to go ahead and get a new toy to play with. So far all I have is the doublet in the lens cell.

I received this 210mm lens serial #001 yesterday. I have attached the Interferogram. You can have a look at that to start with. The numbers do not look too bad to me but I am not an expert by any means.

I was going to mount this inside an old reflector tube but the mechanics did not match as close as I had hoped. Instead I found an old tube ring that almost fit. I was going to go out today and get some rubber strips to take up the slack. On my morning walk I remembered that I had some old leather belts that I did not wear anymore. So I cut one to the circumference of the lens cell and it took up the slack perfectly. With this setup I can mount the lens cell on an equatorial head and begin some testing. Wish I would have thought of the belt idea last night.

I am hoping I can get a look at the full moon through the lens tonight. I might even try to get a photo, but I am not promising anything. In any event this would be a pretty poor setup and would not really show any lens quality. Holding a nice EP behind the lens I hope to get an idea of the amount of false color that I will be dealing with.

I plan to setup some artificial stars at dusk this week and see how the lens performs. I cannot promise anything as I am also preparing to teach a class in Chicago the week of the 14th. I really need to do a good job on that because it could mean more work and I need cash to pay for these toys.

Don Durbin

Attached Image:

DonDurbin's attachment for post 48175
Posted 09/05/2009 12:14PM #1
Ho Don,
Congrats on the new toy, hope you get it dialed in soon.
smile

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager