Broadshouldered Hawk

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Show Starring Jupiter's Moons

Started by markvcostello3, 03/14/2004 01:00PM
Posted 03/14/2004 01:00PM Opening Post
Just wondering if anyone was out watching Jupiter last night? I took the Burgess 102F6 out last night at 9 PM EST with the intention of looking at Saturn, Jupiter, and a few star clusters (M35, M41, and M44). I hardly made it past Jupiter. When I started looking at it aroung 9:20 PM I noticed that one moon was very close to the bottom of the planet. (I had the WO diagonal in so I'm assuming the image was right-side up.) After a few minutes, I noticed that the interval between it and Jupiter had decreased, so it looked as if was getting ready to go behind (or maybe in front of) Jupiter.

Now here's the more interesting part. Around 9:46 PM I noticed a bulge on the top side of Jupiter. At first I thought it was the yellow halo (that was out there last night) This spot though was pin-point, so I figured it was another of the Jovian moons. Sure enough, by 9:54 PM there was black space between the dot and Jupiter. I had to take a phone call concerning one of our power plants (makes my life as a nuclear engineer interesting). Unfortunately, when I got back at 10:24 PM, the moon on the bottom was gone; it must have disappeared behind the planet (or in front and I couldn't pick up its shadow). The moon on the top side was now well away from Jupiter.

By this time, Laura had come home with one of our girls (shopping for a birthday present for one of my daughter's friends). So after making fairly short looks at M35 and M44, I packed it up at 11 PM. Not too bad for the 102F6 with its aberrations.

I was wondering if anyone else saw it maybe with a different telescope? If so, I'd be interested in what times you saw the moon appearing above the planet (again, with diagonal in place)? This may give me some indication of the limit of the lens in my 102F6 (I have it unmasked).

Mark Costello

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC, USA

"I hear you're mechanically inclined. Did you ever do anything with perpetual motion?"

"Yeah, I nearly had it a couple of times."
Posted 03/14/2004 01:29PM #1
>I was wondering if anyone else saw it maybe with a different telescope? If so, I'd be interested in what times you saw the moon appearing above the planet (again, with diagonal in place)? This may give me some indication of the limit of the lens in my 102F6 (I have it unmasked).

Mark Costello
-------

I saw various shadow transits and moons on the surface last night using my 12.5 inch F4.06 DOB. THe seeing was rather poor, the E star in the Trap was only occasionally seen.

Even so, Jupiter is close right now but I don't think I have ever seen the transits so easily at such low magnifications. At 62X the transits were quite apparent. But this scope has some decent optics and normally shows a great deal of detail at low magnifications.

As far as seeing a shadow transit with your 1026, sounds pretty good to me, for a smaller fast scope like this, I figure I would be happy if I could easily see three things: a shadow transit, the Cassini division and split the double-double. Those were my hopes for the 1026 and I am glad to see that yours is likely capable of this.

Mine is not but I did have a new idea. Someday there should be some 1026 objectives floating around as they will have been replaced by the semi-Apo ones. I figure at that point, I should be able to get my hands on a decent objective one way or the other...

jon