Update from Bill, When?

Started by paulccsi, 09/20/2003 04:09PM
Posted 09/20/2003 04:09PM Opening Post
We are still awaiting an update from Bill on the Yahoo Burgess Site. I will immediately repost it here, as soon as he provides more info on the problems they are having with the scopes. Word is, a few people have decided to call it quits on the Burgess 102, and move another manufacturer for their scope. My feelings?? If Bill is taking this much time to get the optics as perfect as possible, he must be dedicated to the quality he promised us all!!
I'm willing to wait.
Paul
Posted 09/20/2003 04:51PM #1
From the sound of it, it isn't a minor problem. As perfect as possible is fine, but the 1026 that Al has is unusable in his words. That's pretty serious. Plus the issue with the focuser and the diagonal. Not a pretty picture being painted.

I am thankful that Bill is dedicated to making it right. That's a good thing. I just wish he would talk to us. I think $100,000 gives us that right.

CLear skies,

Tom
Posted 09/20/2003 11:11PM #2
Sigh. Couldn't a few random production units (_real ones_) have been flown in before the rest got on the boat?? Q/C is a statistical science -- presumably Bill Burgess had earlier tested multiple samples of the optics and was satisfied -- hence jumping to the conclusion the later broadband coatings must have been responsible for the problem... Now if all he tested were the pre-production units, this could be a problem.

I recall reading somewhere Orion only had 25 units of the 80ED. Pretty scary way of doing business -- if true.

-- William

p.s. I'll take someone's spot for a 1278.