Register an account...

Need Help?

Updated 1278 Review

Started by emeryh, 01/11/2004 06:29PM
Posted 01/11/2004 06:29PM Opening Post
Hi All,

I have updated my review of the 1278 here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~emeryh/burgess.htm

Keep in mind that this is a 5" refractor that costs less than some finder scopes or eyepieces. As such, it is an incredible bargain.

I suspect that there must be some variations from unit to unit since some report chromatism while viewing Saturn and others do not. Mine is one that shows no color aberrations on Saturn. It's lenses are also pristine without any markings even under the "flashlight test".

The 1278 is better corrected than all the Synta scopes I've owned and is more similar in optical quality to my Meade 7" APO (which is not what I would consider a true APO).

The 1278 cannot compete with a _good_ 8" SCT or Newtonian on deep sky or planetary resolution, but it does provide that pleasing "refractor view" in so much that stars will focus to more intense pinpoints and there is more contrast (blacker sky) than non-refractors can usually show. Compared to the average 8" reflector, the 1278 can provide better planetary detail.

While I prefer my larger aperture scopes in most circumstances, the 1278 is still good enough to evoke a satisfying viewing session. At only $300 that is quite an accomplishment.
Posted 01/11/2004 07:38PM #1
Dang it, Emery. Here I'd totally decided that I didn't need a 1278, and you just had to bring up the whole issue of better contrast. ;-) That's one thing I really miss about my current asian reflectors compared to previous Russian Maks.

Buy 'em all.
Mike Swaim
Posted 01/12/2004 02:00AM #2
Emery- nice post. You probably won't have any trouble seeing E&F in the trapezium on a steady dark night. I've seen E with no problem and a hint of F on a steady but not dark night (almost impossible here in Bergen County N.J). Gerry