Kite

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Vapor Ware?

Started by David W, 05/30/2005 12:21PM
Posted 05/30/2005 12:21PM Opening Post
Vapor wares was a term started a few years back in the computer world describing fabulous software that never seemed to get to market. Lets say guy "B" has a good idea and wants to bring it to market. Is it just more than a small operation can pull off between dealing half a world away and the operating capital requirements? Looks like the Chinese suppliers would have already have worked out something to get product to the big 2 to offer. If I was manufacturing a world class product I would find a way to sell it.
Posted 05/30/2005 05:40PM #1
>>>Lets say guy "B" has a good idea and wants to bring it to market. Is it just more than a small operation can pull off between dealing half a world away and the operating capital requirements? Looks like the Chinese suppliers would have already have worked out something to get product to the big 2 to offer. If I was manufacturing a world class product I would find a way to sell it.
-------

Good ideas are a dime a dozen... How about this one:

A 12.5 inch F4 APO refractor with 2X better color correction than a Newtonian? The scope weighs 3 lbs, cools down in 5 seconds. Cost: $50.

Sounds pretty good to me but there are some technical problems.... 8O

------

My guess is that vapor ware is most often caused by technical problems with implementing the idea rather than just problems getting the product to the market place. The issue of feasability gets in the way of many a great idea.

Stepping back and looking at the 101mm Backpacker, I would guess that this one may not be doable for $799.

Here is an F5.5 scope with ED glass (3x-8X times better color correction than an achromat), rotating rings and a 2 inch Dielectric diagonal, plus an eyepiece and a backpack.

Compare this to the Orion 100mmF9 ED scope, something that is a doable design. Orion sells these for $999, $200 more than the Backpacker and it is barebones. This scope does perform. And in comparison to other 4 inch APO's it's a bargin.

So by comparison, the F5.5 vs F9 means the lens must be much more accurately made and that the cell must very well made as well to hold the objective in collimation. More expense here for sure. Then adding the dialectric diagaonal and the rest, I just don't see that it actually realistic to produce the Backpacker and sell it for $800...

Certainly Orion is making something on their scope but the way I see it, if the Backpacker could be sold profitably for $799 then the Orion Scope could be produced and sold, at a profit for $500 and I just don't think that is reasonable.

I would like to see Bill pull this off but the numbers just don't add up from my point of view.

jon