Companion sought for Annular Eclipse

Started by RobertHowe, 04/24/2011 02:29AM
Posted 04/24/2011 02:29AM Opening Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for someone to work with in Reno next May (2012) to photograph the annular eclipse, skies should be clear there and the sun high enough, but I don't know the area. It will be a 3-4 day trip for me, come in, set up, go home, because of my daughter's high school graduation. Two weeks later I want to see the transit of Venus, too. Yeah, good luck with that, Robert.

I took this photo in Madrid in October 2005 and hope to do better this time.

Cheers

Robert Howe
Wilbraham MA

Attached Image:

RobertHowe's attachment for post 53241

Robert Howe
Wilbraham MA

TeleVue 85 f/7 // Astro-Physics Traveler 105 f/6 // Astro-Physics 130 f/8.35 // Tak Mewlon 210 //
Coronado 60 DS
"Scopes, Brains and Wisdom--but no Beauty"
Posted 04/26/2011 02:02AM #1
I would like to go, I know the reno area fairly well,but imgearing up for my sons17 th b day aug.21 2017when a total eclipse will happen in the states
Posted 04/27/2011 03:57PM #2
Hi Robert,

I see that you've posted this question in a few different forums so don't know if someone has brought this up already but since this is a low sky event happening close to sunset have you factored in the Sierra Nevada's to the West? Doing a quick look using Starry Night's software mid eclipse looks to be about 6:30PM PST with the sun only 17ΒΌ above the horizon.

I've headed up to Lake Tahoe a few times from Reno and the mountains seem to tower over the Western horizon but how high in degrees I don't know. Good luck with your safari! Who knows, we may cross paths up there.

Jerry

Attached Image:

SocalDarkSkies's attachment for post 140546