Coronado PST newbie needs advice

Started by Jay Martin, 03/14/2009 03:29AM
Posted 03/14/2009 03:29AM | Edited 03/14/2009 03:30AM Opening Post
Hi:
I just got a Coronado PST used off of this forum. I am new to solar viewing so not sure what I should see exactly.(I have never looked through a PST before or any other solar scope) I tried the PST out a few times last week, and I am not seeing much. Basically, I am seeing a big reddish looking smooth ball. (No detail or activity on the edge) I am not seeing anything like some of the pictures I have seen using posted on the internet using the PST. I have tried tuning it. I just wonder if the scope is working ok. I came across a web page that talks about the tuning being out on some of the PSTs and how to fix this. I was wondering if maybe I have a problem with the scope-- or maybe not, and nothing is going on with sun right now. Does anyone have a post link to what I should be seeing with this PST?? I am looking for a true picture --not something enhanced or taken with a webcam etc . Any advice on how to tell if I have a tuning problem will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jay

Posted 03/14/2009 05:21AM | Edited 03/14/2009 05:41AM #1
Jay Martin said:

...Basically, I am seeing a big reddish looking smooth ball. (No detail or activity on the edge)...

Jay,

What eyepiece are you using? The basic PST kit comes with a 25mm eyepiece, which in my opinion doesn't give you enough magnification to see much detail. Try a 12.5mm or 10mm Plossl with a good rubber eyecup and see if that gives you a better view. (A 12.5 will allow you to still see the entire solar disc.) Also, some days the sun has little or no prominence activity. Give it a few more tries over time, adjusting the focuser first and then slowly adjusting the tuning ring until you see some edge detail. Average prominences through the basic PST will be small, faint filaments.

In my experience, on a good day, you should be able to see edge detail similar to this photo: http://www.buytelescopes.com/viewphoto.aspx?pid=3834&p=6580
Posted 03/14/2009 03:07PM | Edited 03/14/2009 03:10PM #2
Jay,
There has been some very nice prominences on the limb of the sun in the past few weeks, you should be able to see something with any eyepiece. Don't use too short a focal length as this will cause the faint prominence to wash out. Also you may try draping a towel over your head to block out light and improve contrast, don't laugh it works.Slowly tune the PST until you see something on the limb. Forget about seeing any surface detail with the PST until the most prominent filaments and sun spots appear as we get close to solar maximum. Even then the PST is made for prominence's and just doesn't have the band pass for surface detail. What you eye can see and a camera can see are two different things. The camera can take a picture that looks like a red blob and with some processing the photo can reveal some interesting detail. While visually observing the sun try moving the PST around the sun a little as this model only has a small part of the FOV on band. As you move across the sun prominences will appear and then disappear. If this doesn't work send it back to the guy you bought it from. You can always cross reference your observations with the SOHO live pictures at
:http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/eit_304/512/

Martin

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." Shunryu Suzuki[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]