Looking For Opinions

Started by Harry Drutok, 06/10/2007 07:53PM
Posted 06/10/2007 07:53PM Opening Post
Hi Folks,
I am considering purchasing a solar telescope, but am unsure which is the better deal. Would you go with a double stacked PST or a Solar Max 40 scope? I would think they are rather comparable, although the Solar Max 40 is about $300 more for the same aperture. Also, looking for your opinions on a mount. How's tha Malta mount?

Thanks in advance,
Harry Drutok
Posted 06/10/2007 11:37PM #1
Not quite comparable...

The PST has a 15mm internal Etalon, while the Solar Max 40 has a full-size Etalon. That said, doublestacking a PST makes a visible and impressive difference.

Ron
Equipment Forum co-moderator
Posted 06/14/2007 04:15AM #2
About a year ago I was asking the same questions .... and in the end spent the money for double stacking. After a year of looking at the "near star", I can't remember why I considered anything but the double stack. There is SO much more to see,

Brooks
Posted 08/11/2007 12:21AM #3
Hi Folks,
Well, I received my SM 40. I took the scope out this morning for first light and saw several prominences at the 4 and 6 o'clock positions. I was surprised at the detail. They looked like wispy hairs with distinct shape. The surface also revealed detail. It was; however, not quite what I expected. I thought it would look like the pictures, a boiling yellow caldron with flares all over. The detail was more subtle, but intriguing. I like it!
I think I will buy more eyepieces. I just have the 25 CEMAX it came with. Also, I may doublestack it one of these days. Regards, Harry