MS40/BF10 First Light

Started by wrroy, 02/07/2004 11:30PM
Posted 02/07/2004 11:30PM Opening Post
Hi folks,

I've been waiting for old Sol to come out for three days since my Maxscope arrived. Finally, this afternoon about 5-7 minutes before the sun set over the hill towards my west, the skies partially cleared. It was long enough for me to test the scope and my CEMAX eps. I've only had one peak through a Ha scope a couple of years ago and all I can say is wow!!

If this is what you get from a 40mm scope mounted to a telepod, with the sun low in the sky, on a day with little solar activity and plenty of high passing clouds--this activity is going to be fun!!

There were two small spots and plenty of prominences. My heart is still fluttering--this is way cool and I've been in the hobby (night time visual astronomy) for 43 years.

Thanks to all who've advised me on this purchase.

Randy

Randy Roy
Posted 02/08/2004 12:36AM #1
Randy,

Congrats! You have an easy-to-use, quickly set up rig for observing our nearest star~!

A couple of weeks ago I came home late for lunch and decided to set up my solar scope for a quick look. I was amazed to see the biggest prominence I've ever seen, a huge arch extending a third of the solar diameter into space!

The Sun is always changing, always interesting, and you'll get a lot of enjoyment watching the endless variety of events. Just wait 'til you see a big solar flare in real time! Turning from orange to yellow, to white as it blazes out in Doppler-shifted wavelengths. It's almost alive...

James Adams
Posted 02/11/2004 08:41PM #2
Ain't it fun?

Don Wyman

Don Wyman
Obsession #1166 18" f/4.5
with Argo Navis and ServoCat
WO Megrez 90 APO
Coronado PST