North America Nebula NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Oct 17th h-alpha Sun - GIANT Filaments!

Started by astrnmrtom, 10/17/2010 08:17PM
Posted 10/17/2010 08:17PM Opening Post
Haven't imaged the Sun in a while. I had some extra time todays and it was a beautiful clear day. I was treated to a view of a couple awesome Filaments. Thought I'd share an image.

Enjoy!

Attached Image:

astrnmrtom's attachment for post 52074

Clear, sunny skies.
Tom Masterson
Coronado-Lunt-Daystar Solar Filters forum Moderator
Posted 10/18/2010 02:45PM #1
Excellent shots, Tom! I had my 60MM Lunt DS out over the weekend and the view was spectacular! A couple of the largest filaments I have ever seen, sunspots, prominences, etc. I am playing with a new Lunt 152mm modular scope now and would love to get into imaging. I also have the Lunt 60mm CaK which I use with a cheapie Meade mono electronic eyepiece and small monitor. However, I am at odds over which camera to get. I am not an imager and want something as simple as possible, but high resolution. I have read about the Lumenera SkyNyx 2-2 mono, but it is more than I care to pay at the moment just starting out. The DMKs look promising. Any words of wisdom? What are you using? How much processing is required and what software is required? I would like to start out with something I can be happy with for a long time. 8O