Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What can I do to see better surface detail on the

Started by algae, 06/14/2008 08:40PM
Posted 06/14/2008 08:40PM Opening Post
Hello. I have a Televue Renaissance 4 inch refractor and the Solarmax 40 mounted in the tuning adapter and a Celestron 18mm X-cell eyepiece. I have to really concentrate to make out granulations. Once at a star party someone tried their eyepiece and the surface features were all there and the contrast was great ....I wrote down what it was, but then lost the piece of paper and it turned out that this guy was just passing through and so no one knew who he was. And yes we did swap his eyepiece for mine and there was a night and day sort of difference. So any recommendations? I have tried the CEMAX eyepieces and they did not seem to offer any improvement.
Posted 06/16/2008 06:38AM #1
I am looking into trying the filter system on another telescope to see what gives.
Posted 06/27/2008 09:26AM #2
I have always found observing surface details at 0.7a to be very subtle. I feel that seeing (using a Maxscope 40 0.7a)is much more important using a smaller aperature in as much as you are working to see something at the very limit or the aperatures resolution. Any turbulence smears and blocks the fine surface granulation. My experience has been to do two thungs that really enhance the surface detail using 40mm at 0.7. First I try to observe as early in the morning or as late in the evening as possible when the seeing is much more settled (morning espescially). And second, I have been using a variable density polarizer to adjust the brightness of the image. While doing this is no substitute for a narrower bandpass, it does yeild significantly better details (in my opinion).Hope this helps.
Posted 12/21/2011 04:11PM #3
Here's something that has worked for me. First I screw on the filter adapter as far as it will go, but not tight. Then I will have someone else slowly back out the adapter (not more than one full rotation!) while I observe the sun. There will be a sweet spot in the circular orientation of the filter where the detail is much much better. In fact compared to an unfavorable position, the detail practically pops into view. Go figure. Someone else with the same issue I had was just fiddling with his filter by rotating it and discovered this!