My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Fluorite: Old and new

Started by Michael Diliberto, 11/11/2002 01:16AM
Posted 11/11/2002 01:16AM Opening Post
Hi,
I was surprised to read in an Astromart ad the following statement regarding a for sale FS 102:
"Note that this scope is made with the earlier, higher-quality flourite glass that is no longer made. The lower-quality flourite is marked w/ a blue ring around the dew shield."
I just purchased a new 102 last week with a blue ring. Is there something I'm missing? Did I not do my homework on this scope? In all the reviews, literature etc this "lower-quality flourite" was never mentioned. What gives? Thanks,
Michael
Posted 11/11/2002 02:27AM #1
Nonsense!!! There are earlier FS102s that have the old style light green lens cell, and these are IDENTICAL to the newer ones with the blue lens cell.

However, even earlier FC100s, with the light green lens cell are actually different than the FS102. The fluorite lens is in the front and is multicoated (older style had fluorite in rear and was not coated). Also, the actual figure of the lens element might be different, but I've never heard anything about the fluorite being different in any way.