Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Triple Meltdown @ Fukushima

Started by reconair, 03/15/2011 12:45PM
Posted 03/15/2011 12:45PM Opening Post
Earthquake-damaged Fukushima nuclear plant radiation levels spiked Tuesday at a quake-damaged nuclear power plant in north-eastern Japan following a series of explosions and a fire affecting its reactors. Right now the nuclear plant is experiencing a meltdown in three of six reactors at the Fukushima facility. Hope now is that the containment buildings hold the molten reactor cores. Should any one core breach its containment building, we will see a repeat of Chernobyl. In the meantime, I would expect that overpressures and possibly more explosions will result in significant release of radioactive steam into the atmosphere.

As the day's trading unfolded, the losses on European bourses began to mount after stocks in Tokyo plummeted 10.55 per cent. At one point on Tuesday, shares in Japan were down by 14 per cent.

The benchmark Stoxx Europe 600 index dropped by 3.69 per cent to 159.94 points after Japanese authorities warned of the rising radioactivity levels.

All Japanese manufacturing will be affected. I suspect significant price increases of most Japanese goods over the next year. I also suspect Takahashi telescopes and accessories will command a premium in the next few years. Of course, prices could go the other way if the Dollar gains against the Yen. Hard to say at this point. Anyone else care to speculate?

Scott Busby
A.K.A. Reconair

Carpe Noctum

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
- Ptolemy,c.150 AD
Posted 03/15/2011 10:20PM #1
Anyone else care to speculate?

I am sure there will be serious repercussions that will affect each and everyone of us. Such considerations are best left to the future.

Right now, I think we should all be focusing our concern, empathy and thanks to the people of Japan and particularly to those few workers inside the control rooms and operational rooms of the wounded reactors. These men and women are heroically risking their lives to in a desperate attempt to stave off what well could be a world wide nuclear disaster.

jon