My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Lost TV76 lenscap at starparty! HELP!!!

Started by skyvue, 01/25/2010 04:07AM
Posted 01/25/2010 04:07AM Opening Post
Hi all,
was at star party way out in Mojave Desert last night and when pack up time at 230am came, I searched high and low for the aluminum screw on cap lens dustcover for my TV76...to no avail...it is MIA and swallowed up into the Mojave to probably be excavated by scientists in 1000yrs or so! cwy
Now, question is...how on earth do I get another one??? Should I call TeleVue directly in NY for a replacement? My scope is under warranty of course and is TV76 #1161. Who here would really know...how much would it cost? Does ANYONE have an idea or at least a ballpark figure???
I appreciate ANY feedback that anyone might have!
Many thanks in advance,
Don.
Posted 01/25/2010 04:36AM #1
Hi Don,
Give them a call at Televue and tell them what happened. I am sure that they will have one and the cost will be reasonable. I have only needed a few EP caps and stuff in the past. Heck, one time they just sent them to me for free. shocked Great people with excellent support.
But, maybe someone who was at the Star Party picked it up and is going to read this and maybe they will return it to you? grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 01/25/2010 08:58AM #2
Donald Tucker said:
...was at star party way out in Mojave Desert last night and when pack up time at 230am came, I searched high and low for the aluminum screw on cap lens dustcover for my TV76...to no avail...it is MIA and swallowed up into the Mojave to probably be excavated by scientists in 1000yrs or so!...

Don't fret. I'm sure a call to TeleVue will help you find a new lens cover for your scope. However, make it a point to visit the same spot next year and you will find it. Then you'll have a spare.

A few years back I was shooting scenics with one of my Nikons (a real film camera back then), way up in the high mountains of Idaho, next to a stream and small waterfall. I lost a rather spendy 77 mm Nikon lens cap but didn't realize it until I got home. (I actually didn't know for sure where I lost it.) I happened to visit the same spot the following year and right out in the open was my lens cap, complete with my initials scratched on the inside and since I had forgotten I had lost it, I wasn't even looking for it. In spite of the 8,000 foot elevation, a winter's worth of snow and snow melt runoff, numerous hikers, ATV's, motorcycles and wild animals, the dang thing was lying right where I had been standing the year before. It just proves that after you've given up looking for something, you'll find it (after you've bought a replacement, of course). St. Anthony was a little slow on this one.