Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

np127

Started by wbcaspe, 02/28/2005 12:48AM
Posted 02/28/2005 12:48AM Opening Post
has anyone had the opportunity to compare the np127 to the toa130. i am looking to buy a 5 inch scope to use on my g11, and these are the final two contneders. thanks, bill
Posted 02/28/2005 05:05AM #1
It's tough to compare these two scopes. A good friend of mine has an NP127, and I have a TOA-130. We've had the scopes set up side-by-side at some of Denver Astronomical Society's monthly open houses, and both refractors provide truly superb views.

While the aperture of the two scopes is essentially the same, they differ in other ways. The Tak is 1000mm focal length (f/7.7), the TV is 660mm focal length (f/5.2). With a given focal length eyepiece, the TV provides somewhat lower magnification, wider angle views; the Tak somewhat higher magnification, narrower angle views. It's not unusual for both of us to put, say, 31mm Naglers in our scopes, pick an object to look at, make the usual oohs and ahhs, then wander over to the other's scope to see what it looks like there. Still oohs and ahhs. These APOs do not disappoint.

The Tak is bigger and heavier than the Tele Vue, so needs a bigger mount. I use a Losmandy G11, my friend uses a GM-8 with his NP127.

I originally contemplated an NP127, but would up getting the TOA-130. The only reason I got the Tak instead of the TV was availability. Frankly, either one would have been a good choice, and I'm very happy with the Tak.

My friend feels the same way about his NP127, of course.

Bottom line: If you're after a quality 5-inch APO, you'll be happy with either of these scopes.

Ron