Ranger upgrade to 76

Started by scottw, 08/05/2005 03:12PM
Posted 08/05/2005 03:12PM Opening Post
Would the "bang for the buck" be there for visual use?

Scott
Posted 08/05/2005 04:20PM #1
Scott Anderson said:

Scott

Hello there Scott,

Well, "bang for the buck" seems to be the phrase reserved for Dob ;-). As such a good quality 8" Dob such as the Discovery might qualify as "bang for the $$$" ;-).

But since you asked in the Tele Vue eGroup, going up 6mm even if it's an APO will hardly be much. in my opinion, unless portability is your most important criteria, I'd say the bigger "bang for the buck" would be a *leap* to the 4-inch Tele Vue TV-102. The view will be a lot more detailed than 70mm (brighter too) and the resolution on the planets and the Moon at bare minimum but satisfying ;-). Nowhere would it be more noticeable than with Mars which is giving a good show now! The 4-inch aperture will bring many, much ;-), many DSOs to within your grasp if you have fairly dark sky from your home, yet still small enough to travel without taking up a lot of room to a dark site.

You can still keep your Ranger for quick look and airline travelling.

Best wishes to your quest.

Ron the 4-inch Tall Evangelist B[ee]
Posted 08/05/2005 05:32PM | Edited 08/05/2005 05:34PM #2
Hi, Scott.
After years of small-aperture viewing, I feel I've trained my eye reasonably well and can do a good job of "seeing small" in my 75-80mm refractors. I myself would consider a 6mm aperture "gain" (over 70mm) to be insignificant, visually -- likely not discernible at all, in terms of angular resolution (assuming comparable fidelity). I have both a Sellarvue 80mm f/6 and a Pentax 75 EDHF (f/6.7), and the Stellarvue compares favorably.
Is it "as good?" No.
Could I "make do" with the Stellarvue alone? Probably.
Would I part with the Pentax? Never.
The EDHF was my first really useful/capable astronomical telescope, whereas the Stellarvue arrived some years later (after yet another couple scopes I haven't even mentioned here). If I were forced to part with either the Stellarvue or the Pentax, it would certainly be the Stellarvue. Again, this is not due to any optical shortcomings; my Stellarvue is an excellent 80mm achromat.

If there was an alternate timeline in which my first "real" scope was an excellent Ranger, and I'd spent many years with it, and I had no qualms about its 1.25-inch format and helical/draw focus mechanism...
...I don't think the TV76 would hold too much sway over me.

In the end -- even if the TV76 does not seem likely to satisfy your "bang for the buck" considerations, you may have to ask yourself an even-more-important question...

"Yeah, OK... But do I still want it!?" 8)

Never underestimate the power of emotional "bang."

Cheers & best wishes, wherever your decision leads you.
-Dan
Posted 08/14/2005 07:18PM #3
Scott Anderson said:

Scott

Check out Ed Ting's review of the TV-76 where he compares it to the Pronto:

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1t.html#3

As a Pronto owner, I have considered upgrading to the 76, yet for me its not worth the money. I love my Pronto and don't want to sell it.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com