NGC 1499

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Ron Bee's Book Review

Started by davidcolton, 02/08/2006 09:43AM
Posted 02/08/2006 09:43AM Opening Post
I was just over at the Cloudy Nights site and was reading Ron Bee's review of Sue French's Book "Celestial Sampler". Like Ron, I am a big fan of Sue's writing, as she used a 4" Apo for most of her observations. Thanks also Ron for pointing out that the book has expanded on her monthly S&T pieces, as I have cut out and collected them, organizing them by month. However, having them in book form with updated information (and at a reasonable price) is motivation to purchase the book.

I do have two recommendations. First, Ron's article, at least on my monitor, does not align, so that some lines contain only one word. That may be due to all of the graphics. I hope that gets fixed as it may it difficult to read the review.

Second, I wish S&T hadn't put all those nice Mt. Palomar or Hubble photos of galaxies and star clusters on the cover of the book. The book excels because Sue tells you want to realistically expect when looking through the eyepiece of a small telescope. The cover photos diminish rather than add to the graphics that you'll find in the book.
Posted 02/08/2006 12:25PM #1
David Colton said:

I do have two recommendations. First, Ron's article, at least on my monitor, does not align, so that some lines contain only one word. That may be due to all of the graphics. I hope that gets fixed as it may it difficult to read the review.

Second, I wish S&T hadn't put all those nice Mt. Palomar or Hubble photos of galaxies and star clusters on the cover of the book. The book excels because Sue tells you want to realistically expect when looking through the eyepiece of a small telescope. The cover photos diminish rather than add to the graphics that you'll find in the book.

Thanks David for your kind words. I don't know why you're getting wierd display. I'm using IE6 and I have resize the screen to accommodate the extra column of list of supports but I can read it fine. I'll try to install Netscape to see if I can see the problem. Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the book using Hubble photos, I did some investigation this morning and there's no reference to the Hubble photos. Sue included an extensive image credits at the end of her book. Most of the photos were from amateurs. So to address the cover photos, the Helix image was Gary Stevens, but enlarged ;-). The Pleiades image was from Akria Fujii and the M31 image was from Robert Gendler (BTW, the Hubble has insufficient FOV to take the complete M45 and M31 ;-). Indeed, amateur images are so awe striken today!

Ron B[ee]
Posted 02/08/2006 05:01PM #2
Here's the link:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1364

Thanks Ron for the review. I just ordered the book.

I am also a fan of Sue's old column. Her articles were perfect for enjoyable observing sessions with my Pronto. I was happy to see that SkyPub decided to publish the collection.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com
Posted 02/09/2006 07:46AM #3
I've seen it on four different systems, all running IE 6+, and it displays just fine.