Sky Tour Question

Started by davidcolton, 04/28/2005 01:51AM
Posted 04/28/2005 01:51AM Opening Post
I view from light polluted skies and part of my view is obstructed by trees. Is it possible to align the Sky Tour DSC by backing into it? By that I mean can you go to a star and type in its RA and Dec and then go to another star and do the same thing in order to 'tell' the DSC where it is pointing?
Posted 04/28/2005 02:58AM #1
Hi Dave,
I don't believe you can do that using RA & Dec.
I'm assuming you know what the stars are if you have the co-ordinates. Do you have the list of stars Sky Tour has for alignment? (came with the Sky Tour) I would think you could find a couple from this list within view to enter.
I think I'm missing something here but not sure what. I've found the list of alignment stars supplied with my Sky Tours is braods enough I can always find a couple stars to use for alignment.
Clear Skies, Bill
Posted 04/28/2005 09:01PM | Edited 04/28/2005 09:02PM #2
I haven't purchased this DSC yet; before I do I want to be sure that the alignment stars are visible from my site.

Does anyone know where I can get the list of Sky Tour alignment stars? Is it anywhere on the web?
Posted 04/28/2005 11:25PM #3
David
I don't believe you can align the Sky Tour using this method. I think you first have to use the listed guide stars to do the initial alignment. There is a list of guide stars on the Y ahoo Televue Group in the files section. Look for SkyTour_DB_.xls file and open it then look for the Guide Star tab along the bottom. I also am surrounded by trees and have a small window above and I have always been able to locate several stars to align on. Sky Tour does work quite well and easy to use.
Hope this helps
Buck