NGC 1499

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Televue 76mm

Started by ivanong, 01/02/2008 07:56AM
Posted 01/02/2008 07:56AM Opening Post
I have just returned from a vacation in Singapore. I took a Televue 76mm this time, and I was delighted with the ease and cleanliness of a 4" split of alpha Cru (Acrux) with a Nagler T6 9mm. In previous years I had brought along a Televue 60mm and did not pick up that split which I know should be possible with a 60mm. I think the jump from 60mm to 76mm was quite worthwhile in terms of increased resolution and brightness, factoring in the increase in weight and size (I'm glad I did not get a Tv-85!). I took it on the plane with no issues from any airport screeners.

I had thought long and hard about a WO or AT Tech scope, but the new 66SD I owned briefly was quite decent widefield but started giving up as magnification was increased. It simply could not compare with the TV 60mmAPO at high mags. With portable travel scopes, it is useful to have good performance at both ends of the magnification scale and I am very happy with the TV-76.

Ivan
Posted 01/02/2008 06:36PM #1
Thanks Ivan for the report. I was interested in comparing TeleVue scopes with the cheaper imports. I have a TV-85, and used to own a TV-76, but have never been able to directly compare either scope to an import. The TeleVue scopes are certainly versatile in going from low to high magnifications, and they are the perfect small scopes in this regard. Thanks.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com
Posted 03/15/2008 07:45AM #2
Ivan,

Very nice setup! smile

What kinda weight are you using to offset the binoviewer?

Thanks for sharing,
C