TV102 - does it have a future?

Started by Ryoung362, 10/13/2007 04:07PM
Posted 10/13/2007 04:07PM Opening Post
Posted this in the Refractor forum in the Orion 102ED f/7 thread. Probably the wrong place, so asking here:

With everybody and his brother selling 4" ED doublets and 4" triplets becoming more and more common, does Televue sell any new TV102s to speak of? It seems like that design has been thoroughly undercut by comparable scopes from the Far East and elsewhere. With all the low cost competition, I'm surprised TV still carries it in their lineup.

Still, Al Nagler's an astute businessman. He must be selling them or he wouldn't still list them.

Or am I missing something? I know they're well built; but is that worth another $1K?

---FWIW I've had a TV102 since 2001 and find it more than adequate. Doubt if I could justify the cost of a new one with the competition in that size...but I haven't looked through the competition either.
Bob
Posted 10/14/2007 03:10AM | Edited 10/14/2007 03:11AM #1
How do the competitors compare in terms of quality of view? I have never been able to look through any of these.

I have wondered about TeleVue's competition. TV's scopes have become much more expensive in comparison. I remember when I purchased a Pronto that it was reasonable in comparison. This was before all the imports.

If I were just getting into refractors today, I would probably get a William Optics or some other similar scope. Luckily I have been able to own TV refractors (Pronto, TV76, and now TV85).

One consideration is that used TV scopes are often comparable in price to the imports.

TeleVue scopes are just cool, rather like a Harley compared to its competitors.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com
Posted 10/15/2007 02:38PM #2
What you're really asking is: Does 100% QA on amateur equipment have a future? If the answer is yes, then you will have a reasonable assurance that what you buy will perform to its top level. If the answer is no (and this depends on all your fellow amateurs voting with their pocketbooks), then you will not be assured that the equipment that you buy will perform to the highest level. In that case expect to send stuff back repeatedly until you get something that works properly, and know that whatever you sent back will go to another person and another until it finally finds a home. Chances are that the low level of performance of that returned product will un-inspire that person and they may drop out of the hobby altogether.

Rolando